1 Yr update on replacing a Blaze King Ashford 30 with a Pacific Energy T5

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bullyboy

Burning Hunk
Apr 8, 2017
Central Ontario
I have been meaning to get around to posting an update now that we are back to full time burning weather.

Past story was that we had an Ashford 30 for 3 seasons and swapped it out at the start of the 4th.

The Blaze King is a phenomenal stove but we just got fed up with fighting the smoke smell. Blaze King gave us many things to try and we tried them all. Each thing seemed to work but for whatever reason, the smell would always return. I honestly have no idea if it was the stove, the operator or just the stove in this setup. I would probably still have the stove and be trying different things every year if the wife hadn't said enough.

I actually reached out mid-season to the person that bought the stove from me but never heard back. I am hoping that they are not having the same issue as my setup had. I informed them of all we went through and they were confident that their setup would be fine.

Ok, on to the T5

Absolutely love our replacement choice. We have had zero issues with this stove. It is a treat to operate. I hope that this is the last stove I ever have to buy.

There are obvious operating changes between the two in loading but we knew it was going to be very different going into this. I would say it took at least 3 full months for me to learn how to make it operate efficiently for us. It took me a long time to learn that less is more. there were a few really hot nights before I finally realized that the house was still warm in the morning on half loads. It's very different from the Ashford where the goal is to fill every sq inch. I guess I needed deprogrammed.

The T5 holds coals for a long time and much like the Ashford the stove radiates for a long time once it's up to temp. Obviously, nothing can compare to loading the Blaze King once every 24hrs or so but it's just a different philosophy running the T5. I put wood in 3 to 4 times a day now but the difference is just that. I put wood in. I don't stuff to the gills. I only put in what the weather dictates and usually that is 3 to 4 smaller pieces in the morning, 2 or 3 smaller pieces late afternoon and then 3 or 4 before bed. I have found that rounds are perfect for overnight burns. Burning this way for us there are always coals to light off of. I was really worried I would be starting a lot of fires but it wasn't the case.

To sum everything up I would say that we made the right choice for us and our setup.

Both stoves have 1 big positive and 1 negative. For the Ashford the good is only loading once a day and the negative is staring at a black box. The T5 negative is the more frequent load cycle but the positive is almost constant clean glass and beautiful flame show. I underestimated how much I would enjoy watching the fire. It is awesome. There are several nights where we sit around with only the glow of the fire lighting our living room.

I think that about sums it up. As for wood consumption. I was about a third more used with the T5. We didn't have our extended cold snaps as usual but I also used up way more than I should have, learning that less is more. I should have a more accurate consumption comparison after this season.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

You might have used a third more wood but you won’t have to buy a cat ever again.

I’m staring at a black box right now. The T5 would be my current choice for noncat replacement in this house too. That is, if I ever changed stoves. Not sure I would like loading 3-4 times a day.

Congratulations on solving the 30 box stink problem!

Reactions: Todd and Bullyboy
I have been meaning to get around to posting an update now that we are back to full time burning weather.

Past story was that we had an Ashford 30 for 3 seasons and swapped it out at the start of the 4th.

The Blaze King is a phenomenal stove but we just got feed up with fighting the smoke smell. Blaze King gave us many things to try and we tried them all. Each thing seemed to work but for whatever reason the smell would always return. I honestly have no idea if it was the stove, the operator or just the stove in this setup. I would probably still have the stove and be trying different things every year if the wife hadn't said enough.

I actually reached out mid season to the person that bought the stove from me but never heard back. I am hoping that they are not having the same issue as my setup had. I informed them of all we went through and they were confident that their setup would be fine.

Ok, on to the T5

Absolutely love our replacement choice. We have had zero issues with this stove. It is a treat to operate. I hope that this is the last stove I ever have to buy.

There are obvious operating changes between the two in loading but we knew it was going to be very different going into this. I would say it took at least 3 full months for me to learn how to make it operate efficiently for us. It took me a long time to learn that less is more. there were a few really hot nights before I finally realized that the house was still warm in the morning on half loads. It's very different from the Ashford were the goal is to fill every sq inch. I guess I needed deprogrammed.

The T5 holds coals for a long time and much like the Ashford the stove radiates for a long time once its up to temp. Obviously nothing can compare to loading the Blaze King once every 24hrs or so but its just a different philosophy running the T5. I put wood in 3 to 4 times a day now but the difference is just that. I put wood in. I don't stuff to the gills. I only put in what the weather dictates and usually that is 3 to 4 smaller pieces in the morning, 2 or 3 smaller pieces late afternoon and then 3 or 4 before bed. I have found that rounds are perfect for overnight burns. Burning this way for us there are always coals to light off of. I was really worried I would be starting a lot of fires but it wasn't the case.

To sum everything up I would say that we made the right choice for us and our setup.

Both stoves have 1 big positive and 1 negative. For the Ashford the good is only loading once a day and the negative is staring at a black box. The T5 negative is the more frequent load cycle but the positive is almost constant clean glass and beautiful flame show. I underestimated how much I would enjoy watching the fire. It is awesome. There are several nights where we sit around with only the glow of the fire lighting our living room.

I think that about sums it up. As for wood consumption. I was about a third more used with the T5. We didn't have our extended cold snaps as usual but I also used up way more then I should have learning that less is more. I should have a more accurate consumption comparison after this season.

Yes I am sure your wood consumption will go down as you learn the stove. Running a noncat non thermostatic controlled stove takes a bit more thought an planning. But I would bet you consumption will be fairly close once you learn the t5

Once you get into the swing of things 3 loads per day should work out well for the T5 during cold weather. Our next-door neighbor feeds his Spectrum twice a day during mild weather which is a lot of our winter. You were smart to get one early. A friend just tried to buy one here and was told that the lead time could be up to 26 weeks!

Reactions: Bullyboy

The Blaze King is a phenomenal stove but we just got fed up with fighting the smoke smell. Blaze King gave us many things to try and we tried them all. Each thing seemed to work but for whatever reason, the smell would always return. I honestly have no idea if it was the stove, the operator or just the stove in this setup. I would probably still have the stove and be trying different things every year if the wife hadn't said enough.

I actually reached out mid-season to the person that bought the stove from me but never heard back. I am hoping that they are not having the same issue as my setup had. I informed them of all we went through and they were confident that their setup would be fine.

Ok, on to the T5

There are obvious operating changes between the two in loading but we knew it was going to be very different going into this. I would say it took at least 3 full months for me to learn how to make it operate efficiently for us. It took me a long time to learn that less is more. there were a few really hot nights before I finally realized that the house was still warm in the morning on half loads. It's very different from the Ashford where the goal is to fill every sq inch. I guess I needed deprogrammed.

The T5 holds coals for a long time and much like the Ashford the stove radiates for a long time once it's up to temp. Obviously, nothing can compare to loading the Blaze King once every 24hrs or so but it's just a different philosophy running the T5. I put wood in 3 to 4 times a day now but the difference is just that. I put wood in. I don't stuff to the gills. I only put in what the weather dictates and usually that is 3 to 4 smaller pieces in the morning, 2 or 3 smaller pieces late afternoon and then 3 or 4 before bed. I have found that rounds are perfect for overnight burns. Burning this way for us there are always coals to light off of. I was really worried I would be starting a lot of fires but it wasn't the case.

I think that about sums it up. As for wood consumption. I was about a third more used with the T5. We didn't have our extended cold snaps as usual but I also used up way more than I should have, learning that less is more. I should have a more accurate consumption comparison after this season.

Congratulations on things working in your favor, and good luck and burning with the new stove.
A rebuttal but albeit one documenting my personal experience with the BKking .If you want a light show hit the air, you'll get a phenomenal one with the king, also I often run mine with just a split or two for the better part of the day when burning a coal bed down which is comparatively small. Not recommended by BK, but it works, and produces usable heat. As you know these kings burn a long time, a definite plus . One last thing and I can't overemphasize this to any prospective BK buyer, don't get a BK if your wood isn't 20% or under you'll get an exercise in frustration real quick. BK cat stoves only work as advertised with well seasoned wood, ANY type my wood averages 15% to 18% and this thing purrs.

Congratulations on things working in your favor, and good luck and burning with the new stove.
A rebuttal but albeit one documenting my personal experience with the BKking .If you want a light show hit the air, you'll get a phenomenal one with the king, also I often run mine with just a split or two for the better part of the day when burning a coal bed down which is comparatively small. Not recommended by BK, but it works, and produces usable heat. As you know these kings burn a long time, a definite plus . One last thing and I can't overemphasize this to any prospective BK buyer, don't get a BK if your wood isn't 20% or under you'll get an exercise in frustration real quick. BK cat stoves only work as advertised with well seasoned wood, ANY type my wood averages 15% to 18% and this thing purrs.
Any stove requires that honestly. No matter what the stove is wet wood will be very frustrating.

Ok, on to the T5

thanks so much for this response its amazing so many with the 30 box stink. I've heard others now with the 40 series stink. I'm done with it. calling blaze king now. I'm going with the Pacific Energy too. was highly recommended from my installer from the beginning!! how many sq feet is your place? thanks Tony

It is very frustrating to have this problem, and for some (that we see here), it seems hard or impossible to solve.
I take issue with "so many" though - most people won't make an account and post when all goes well. While your problems are real, and understandably frustrating, it is (by far) not common or "so many".

Regardless, PE is a good brand. Let us know how things go when you have switched - even if only because we like to see a post from you when you are a happy burner, regardless of in what stove you burn!

yes you bet!! diff will post here when I know what I'm getting for replacement for sure and how it turns out. wish I had a solution for this BK but nothing more can be done with this model or install
Did you check for vacuum leaks in your stove pipe above your stove with a stick of incense?

Waft it around the pipe joints, and where the pipe meets the stove. See if the smoke is sucked to the joints. Leaks sucking in room air take away from negative pressure in the firebox. May help the cause it’s cheap and easy to test.

I will get a smell with my princess if I wait too long to reload and I’m burning the press logs. It’s the only time it does it. It’s when I’m trying to get the cat into the active stage. I thought it had to do with the bypass open but find it doesn’t matter. As soon as I set it for the long burn and give it a few minutes, it’s fine. Not a big deal in my case as I just open the door and close the room off from the rest of the house but I could see where it would suck if I couldn’t. I don’t have the problem if I reload when it’s still got plenty of coals to do a quick burn before I shut the bypass and set the clock. Maybe worth a try? I have a smoke/co detector in the same room and I definitely know when I screwed up lol