The saga continues... getting the chimney ready

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Maybe I should consider a hearthstone stove if Jotul doesnt come out with something that will fit and be 2020 compliant? The heritage looks interesting and I am not against a Cat stove by any means. Any thoughts on the heritage or hearthstone in general?

I have zero experience with Hearthstone stoves but a guy posted pics of his recently and it had big gaps in the door sealing face. Seems people are talking about poor quality control.

Ohhh boy. That's not good. I'll look more into this and look at other options. I've heard BK are good stoves but I feel they lack character. Everything is a give and take I suppose.

I didn’t even think that would be an issue but I guess it’s a possibility. I hope they keep it. I love the design and it would fit great.
It doesn't currently meet the new emission standards so without a major redesign it won't be around next year.

Ohhh boy. That's not good. I'll look more into this and look at other options. I've heard BK are good stoves but I feel they lack character. Everything is a give and take I suppose.
I am not a big fan of hearthstone. Look at Woodstock regency quadrature Pacific energy they all make quality products. And bk does have some stoves with character. Their ashfords are nice looking cast iron clad stoves. And they have the modern looking Chinook. What ever you choose I would look at a design that has been out for a while not a new one introduced recently for 2020. Some will still have bugs to work out. I know bk has some 2020 stoves that have been out for a while. And the regency pro line stuff has been proven pretty well. I am sure I missed some other good stoves those are just the ones that came to mind.

My fireplace is 38" from wood floor to the bricks in the back, so this is going to limit my choices quite a bit. I want a big viewing window and a good heater. Also probably needs to be rear vented as it is going into an existing fireplace.

Last edited:
I didn't say that Jotul will definitely not still make the F400. It is unknown right now. We are in transition as the new EPA regulations take effect. Jotul did come out with an updated version of the F500. Did you look at the Hampton H300? The Hearthstone Shelburne may work too.

The H300 and the shelburne are too deep. Actually, even the Jotul F400 is an inch too deep unfortunately... this is difficult. It really looks like the Hearthstone castleton might be one option right now. I need something no deeper than 22 inches to meet the 16" hearth requirement without modification which I'm really trying not to do. Maybe a quadrafire explorere would fit. Gotta check the specs on that one still.

If this is a year out, why all the planning now? I can see figuring it out if the desire is to purchase now before inventory runs out, but not if the purchase will be a year from now. All of the stoves mentioned may or may not be available then. we don't know.
Depending on the stove and hearth, an extension may be the easiest solution. What is the hearth like? Is it raised or flush with the floor?

Last edited:
Have you given any consideration to inserts?

Reactions: begreen
I'm planning now because I get on these kicks and really get into planning things but you have a good point about the stove situations. The hearth is flush with the floor. Inserts are cool but I think the radiant heat is better than the blowing fan? Any opinions on that?

I also didn't realize the turn over in inventory from year to year. I really want to buy one this year but I don't have wood and I'm planning a wedding so I feel it might be too much at once to get it in before the winter. I've always wanted to heat with wood in a house since I was a kid so Im just really excited about this.

I'm planning now because I get on these kicks and really get into planning things but you have a good point about the stove situations. The hearth is flush with the floor. Inserts are cool but I think the radiant heat is better than the blowing fan? Any opinions on that?

I also didn't realize the turn over in inventory from year to year. I really want to buy one this year but I don't have wood and I'm planning a wedding so I feel it might be too much at once to get it in before the winter. I've always wanted to heat with wood in a house since I was a kid so Im just really excited about this.
If you are going to be stuffing the stove back into the firebox you will not be gaining anything over an insert and may actually loose some heat.

There normally isn't as much change over in stove availability. But a new set of regulations is coming in next year and dealers will no longer be able to sell noncompliant stoves after a certain date.

Yeah I have considered that fact that putting it into the firebox that ill be losing its capabilities.... Worth a risk I think but I might change my mind.

Yeah I have considered that fact that putting it into the firebox that ill be losing its capabilities.... Worth a risk I think but I might change my mind.
Is this fireplace an internal one or is it on an exterior wall. If you stick a radiant stove in an external fireplace you will send allot of that heat into the masonry and much of that will go outside. You will then struggle trying to insulate and force the heat out of that firebox. Or you go with a convective stove and use a blower which will be hard to service because they are almost always on the back of the stove.

If it is an internal fireplace you will still give up much of the heat to the masonry but in that case it will eventually end up in the house.

The fireplace is an internal one.
In that case it may be worth trying. But it isn't going to heat like a freestander in the open. It will take much longer to feel allot of heat.

Some inserts convect pretty well even when the blower is off. However, during cold spells you most likely are going to want a blower whether on a freestanding stove in the fireplace or an insert.

This is going to be supplemental heat and ambiance for nights and weekends. The heat output is a plus though. And I think free standing will look better than an insert. Not and ideal set up but it’s a dream.

This is going to be supplemental heat and ambiance for nights and weekends. The heat output is a plus though. And I think free standing will look better than an insert. Not and ideal set up but it’s a dream.
If you are planning a rear vent with a tee behind it how do you plan on servicing it? Can you reach around the stove and drop the tee cap or will you need to pull the stove every year?

The fireplace opening is 48” wide so I think I’ll have enough room to reach back and drop the tee cap.

The fireplace opening is 48” wide so I think I’ll have enough room to reach back and drop the tee cap.
Yeah at that width you should

Reactions: RIMatt
Any thoughts on the Lopi Answer? That looks like it would fit... 16” deep stove good for 750-1400sq feet(looking to heat about 600-700sq feet) and has a 1.5 cu ft firebox so hopefully I would have coals in the morning to get something going. But again not looking to go with 24/7 heating except possibly the weekends.

Could work, its a classic old small stove. Our nextdoor neighbor has the Answer insert. It's on the small side, but well made.

I’ve looked at the quad fire explorer 1 stove and that will fit and it is a nice looking stove. What do you think if it was between the explorer 1 or the answer... what would be better?

Yeah I think I would want to buy before next spring, I gotta think the herd will be thinned out and selection not as plentiful as it is now after the 2020 regs kick in. Heck I bet some models that are slated to be discontinued are already off the assembly line and in the warehouse, only existing inventory left to purchase...never know, may even lose a couple manufacturers completely?