The saga continues... getting the chimney ready

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I’ve looked at the quad fire explorer 1 stove and that will fit and it is a nice looking stove. What do you think if it was between the explorer 1 or the answer... what would be better?
Hard to answer because what is better depends on the individual and household. The Explorer is better looking IMO, but is that a priority? Is loading direction a priority? Is radiant vs convective heat a priority? Is availability a year from now a priority?

Aesthetics is a priority, I’m not sure about loading direction id like a better radiant heater I think. I’m thinking about with all this up in the air unknowns about next year I’ll probably end up buying in December.

Did you post a picture of the fireplace and hearth? It would help a lot to see it.

Aesthetics is a priority, I’m not sure about loading direction id like a better radiant heater I think. I’m thinking about with all this up in the air unknowns about next year I’ll probably end up buying in December.
You really don't want a radiant heater if it is going in a fireplace. Radiant heat travels in a straight line off the stove. Which means most of it is going to go into the masonry

Here is the fireplace and hearth.

Attachments

• 504D5C60-2783-40D4-8219-6AF71A570E94.jpeg
    504D5C60-2783-40D4-8219-6AF71A570E94.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 183
That's helpful. The flush hearth and low mantel are top issues showing. An insert is looking more attractive. Take a look at the Jotul C450 and C550 and maybe the Quadrafire Voyageur. For a nice unit look at the Enviro Venice and Boston.

I’m already planning a heat shield to make the clearances in spec. Can you explain why the flush hearth is a problem? I thought you need just 16” from door to a combustible floor?

How well do inserts heat? Also are the blowers loud? I would really not like to hear a blower going all the time.

I’m already planning a heat shield to make the clearances in spec. Can you explain why the flush hearth is a problem? I thought you need just 16” from door to a combustible floor?
Yes, that is what is constraining stove options like the Hampton.

How well do inserts heat? Also are the blowers loud? I would really not like to hear a blower going all the time.
I'm with you there. I like a quiet blower too. Many folks run them on medium to low speed for that reason. I know that Enviro, PE, Hampton blowers are pretty quiet. I think I read reports that BK blowers are too, but have not seen one burning and listened to it.

Reactions: Highbeam
Well... since i want a well working fireplace and we have opinions on the fact that having a free standing stove in the fireplace is probably not the best route to go, i will look into the Enviro, PE and Hampton inserts. Ill also check out BK inserts. Im going to need something to fit the 48" wide opening and something that will heat 600~700 sq feet.

A freestanding stove with a blower doesn't need to be off the table, but at this stage, it's good to consider all options. Base the choice on what checks the most boxes in the wish list. And if the only issue is extending the hearth a few inches, there are some remedies for that too that could work, especially if the requirement is just ember protection.

It actually looks like the Enviro Boston fits perfectly and all the clearances are with in spec. I do like the look of it. Only thing im worried about is that it says it heats up to 2200 sq feet. My living, dining and kitchen is about 700ish. Do you think building a smaller fire and using lower btu wood types will help with the heat output? I want to avoid opening windows if possible but I do have a window in the way back of the dinning area that would work if needed.

My living, dining and kitchen is about 700ish. Do you think building a smaller fire and using lower btu wood types will help with the heat output?
That will help, yes...but you still need to be looking at stoves on the smaller end of the scale.
Do you have other rooms that the doors can be left open on so you can let the stove "spread its wings" a little?
What's your total sq. footage?

I'm not sure using just the area of the rooms around the stove is a valid way to size a stove. My stove heats my whole house! Especially since you are looking at inserts, a reasonable sized 2000 SF in RI (I couldn't find where you disclosed house size), I would be getting the biggest insert you can fit in there. PE summit has a lot of fans.

The total area of the house is 1400 sq feet. The house is mainly open concept no doors or any walls from living, dining and kitchen. Then there a hall way that is to the left of the fireplace and the bedrooms are down the hall a little ways with the master being the farthest away. I’ll post a pic later tonight or tomorrow.

One photo is from the living room to down the hall. And the other one is the living room, dining and kitchen taken from basically the hearth. 3 bedrooms and a bathroom are down the hall.

Attachments

• 354C0EC2-7C73-407E-9877-1AEE6593F1E3.jpeg
    354C0EC2-7C73-407E-9877-1AEE6593F1E3.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 197
  • 77874D5B-E9B7-4AD1-80D8-B651BC697AAE.jpeg
    77874D5B-E9B7-4AD1-80D8-B651BC697AAE.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 186
A few more....

Attachments

• DD23332D-A199-4CBE-B831-F0623BC67713.jpeg
    DD23332D-A199-4CBE-B831-F0623BC67713.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 188
  • 32AC0A25-9F84-488B-A8D3-F9535C604417.jpeg
    32AC0A25-9F84-488B-A8D3-F9535C604417.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 213
And big windows.

Attachments

• 2EA10EB9-4C27-4F35-848D-0807055A41CB.jpeg
    2EA10EB9-4C27-4F35-848D-0807055A41CB.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 169
A small fan on the floor running on low at the end of that hallway will push cold air back toward the stove, bringing warm air back to the bedrooms.
With 1400 sq ft, big windows, and short loading the stove with lower BTU wood, I think you will be fine with a small or mid sized stove.

Reactions: SpaceBus
It actually looks like the Enviro Boston fits perfectly and all the clearances are with in spec. I do like the look of it. Only thing im worried about is that it says it heats up to 2200 sq feet. My living, dining and kitchen is about 700ish. Do you think building a smaller fire and using lower btu wood types will help with the heat output? I want to avoid opening windows if possible but I do have a window in the way back of the dinning area that would work if needed.
2200 sq ft is the maximum area heated. The Boston 1200 is a good looking stove. It's in the right size range and will burn fine with a half load of wood. If it starts getting too warm, let the fire go out.

Thank you guys so much. You've really made this process a lot easier. I've gotten the approval from the commissioner as she does like the look of the enviro.. plus she is from Boston. Main concern now is if the fan is going to be too loud but time will tell. I'll search for threads on here to learn more about this unit.

Most of the threads on the Boston will be for the larger Boston 1700. While looking also search on the Enviro Kodiak 1200. It's the same stove inside as the Boston.

Reactions: RIMatt
If I go with the enviro Boston it is going to sit on the hearth. The Boston sticks out 7.75” and my hearth depth is 17”. So would putting a hearth pad infront of the insert to extend the hearth be what I would need to look for?

Yes, It will need a hearth extension. The simplest option would to be to buy a hearth pad of the proper insulation value. It needs to be K= .84 or R=1.19 for a flush hearth. 18" wide is a common hearth extension pad dimension. It can go right up to the front lip of the stove. A little more complicated solution would be to remove 8" of floor in front of the current hearth and extend the flush mantel with an extension that remains flush. This would take a combination of an insulating material like micore and a hard covering like metal, or tile.

You will also need to check the clearances to the mantel.

Screen Shot 2019-09-26 at 5.41.00 PM.png