The XXV has come to LIFE 38 Outside!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amick780

Hearth Supporter
Jun 27, 2009
Northern New York
After a complete cleaning, including sanding and giving her a coat of stove brite on the inside. She came to life.

Attachments

• Pellet-StoveBurning.jpg
    Pellet-StoveBurning.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 296
  • Pellet-StoveBurning2s.jpg
    Pellet-StoveBurning2s.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 292
Love it! Makes me want to fire mine up.. ;-)
Your stove looks so pretty with the stonework behind it.

tinkabranc said:
Love it! Makes me want to fire mine up.. ;-)
Your stove looks so pretty with the stonework behind it.
Thanks Tinkabranc...I very happy with my XXV. I only ran it last night for a bit, but it was nice. Enjoy yours!!

Gorgeous! absolutely Gorgeous!

Fall is great in the Northeast.

clifford

Still not cold enough here just yet.

House was at 68º this am. Outside temp was 46º

But looking at yours and I feel warmer too!
Nice looking stove.

Did you get any smell from the stove brite burn off??

jay

Jay,
The stuff stinks like crazy when you are putting it on, and thought it would be worse when I fired it up, but it did not smell at all (suprised). I was glad I did it though. Even if it does nothing over the long run....made me feel good that the stove looked new inside again!! My wife thinks I am crazy....

amick780 said:
Jay,
The stuff stinks like crazy when you are putting it on, and thought it would be worse when I fired it up, but it did not smell at all (suprised). I was glad I did it though. Even if it does nothing over the long run....made me feel good that the stove looked new inside again!! My wife thinks I am crazy....

Not crazy to me! It's like washing the car and not cleaning the interior!

amick780 said:
. . . and thought it would be worse when I fired it up, but it did not smell at all (suprised). . .

amick, lucky you. I used Stove Brite to paint inside my stove as well, mostly the baffles and tubes. There is a tiny gap around the convection tube cleaner pull rod. It filled the room with paint fumes, looked foggy in the room. I have one of those dual fan things that go in a window. I set it to exhaust and it cleared the room pretty quick. Not sure why the combustion blower didn't vent the fumes? No pellet smoke ever comes in the room.
Mike -
P.s. Your stove really looks great!

Thanks Mike,
When I was spraying the inside of the stove the room did get a quite a bit of stench in it. That stuff is the worse, but it did clear out pretty quick. That is interesting that you got that much fumes from burning the stove. I guess it just depends on the stove.

amick780 said:
Thanks Mike,
When I was spraying the inside of the stove the room did get a quite a bit of stench in it. That stuff is the worse, but it did clear out pretty quick. That is interesting that you got that much fumes from burning the stove. I guess it just depends on the stove.

Ya, it started right up, no smoke or smell at all, then as the fire grew I noticed a little smoke looking trickle (about like a cigarette, or less) from the tiny gap around the pull rod only. I thought, that's not too bad, but as the fire got bigger and hotter, the smoke/fumes started freaking billowing from that gap. I didn't think it would last for long, but ran and got the window fan from the basement. I had only painted it the previous weekend. Maybe that matters? Anyway, I'm going to start it up again today and see if it happens anymore.
Mike -

Not sure, I painted mine yesterday morning, and started it up around 9ish last night. Maybe there was just a build up of paint around that opening that burnt away.

amick780 said:
. . . Maybe there was just a build up of paint around that opening that burnt away.

Bingo! I painted the actual pull rod, tubes and scraper.

I still think the combustion/exhaust blower should create enough negative pressure in the otherwise sealed stove to pull a serious vacuum and vent everything, smoke and fumes.

Not a big deal. I thought I was going to be able to avoid the rust issue, as my stove isn't in the basement (or humid area) and I remove the vent completely. No such luck.

Very nice looking, the forecast looks like that on Tues. night I'll fire mine up for a test burn... It will be the first time it has been cold enough to burn in Sept. but shouldn't be a surprise to me since this summer was one of the coldest on record for the state of KY!!!

Mine as well, not a ton of rust but there was still a small amount. I think this is normal every year.

THE ROOSTER said:
Very nice looking, the forecast looks like that on Tues. night I'll fire mine up for a test burn... It will be the first time it has been cold enough to burn in Sept. but shouldn't be a surprise to me since this summer was one of the coldest on record for the state of KY!!!

Was cold and rainy this summer up here as well, not sure what this winter has in store for us. I guess we will all find out. Hopefully it goes a little better then the summer, if not I know we will be warm thought!!

Figured it out. Just started it up again. It wasn't coming from that gap. I noticed a small amount of surface rust starting inside the convection tubes, so I put some oil on a cloth and ran it down each tube. Duhh, forgot I did this and wouldn't recommend unless you can vent your room easily. I think it was mostly the oil burning off. Live and learn, seems to be all set now. I cracked the door while holding a candle, plenty of vacuum.
Here's mine.
Mike -

Attachments

• Dscn2087.jpg
    Dscn2087.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 188
Great looking stove...
I can imagine the oil would put off a bit of smoke, and stink. Glad you figured it out, would of been bit worried if it was coming from inside the stove.
-Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.