Thelin Gnome

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustoff

Feb 28, 2014
SW Wyoming
I purchased my Gnome from a local dealer and have ALL the same problems discussed in this forum. My first blower motor (an Ametek Pittman) lasted 22 months. The next one, which cost me $501 (including shipping) lasted 8 months - four of which the stove was NOT used at all. The second blower motor was an MMP. I rebuilt the Ametek motor (bearings and brushes and cleaned it out) hoping to get more than another 8 months out of it. Thelin, Inc's prices are the most expensive I've found anywhere. I'm on my third igniter. They seem to last about 18 months. I've decided to part mine out and replace it with an England 55 SHP 10L (which has been installed and working for 5 days now). Live and learn....I guess. I am astonished by the reasonable costs for England's replacement parts and I can buy them from the factory, if I ever need them. That fact alone makes me rest easier.

While the Gnome is a nice looking stove and has the battery back-up option, not much good if they are unreliable and eating through parts. Kind of defeats the purpose of burning pellets to save $$ on heating costs.

Enjoy the Englander - pics or it didn't happen;lol

Never heard anything good about Thelin since Joe sold the company, except it is a really good looking stove. My father had bought a new parlor model, and needed to replace the damn blower after one year. The dealer was no help at all, Thelin didn't want to help either. Told him to go back to the dealer. Dealer no longer sells Thelin. He was told to buy replacement blower from a different dealer he never heard of. He wound up giving it to his daughter. He now has a new Harman P68. Sis finally got it working but there is a night and day difference between the two stoves. She had more trouble with it and has since returned to using her wood stove. Replacement parts for Thelin make burning pellets unaffordable, just like Lake Girl said.

Owned a original Gnome for almost 10 years. It was built by Jay Thelin himself. I only had to replace blower once & circuit board once. Both times Jay sent me parts for free, I only paid shipping. He sold the company, and it went, all but out of business, quick. New owners would not mail parts said "they're doing it a new way, not Jays way" Maybe they'd still be in business if they did it Jays way! Quality went down hill & absolutely no customer support. I sold my stove & purchased a TRPAH, never looked back.....

Status
Not open for further replies.