There's trees down all over the north east

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
RI got slammed. There are some big trees down everywhere by me. I need a saw. Didn't lose power just cable and internet for about 15 hours.

RI got slammed. There are some big trees down everywhere by me. I need a saw. Didn't lose power just cable and internet for about 15 hours.
I heard the same from Craig (@webbie) with his place in RI. It blew part of the roof off.

I haven't walked the woods yet, but have in my immediate acre that is lawn and trees or at the edge of the woods - two large oaks, a large white pine, an apple tree, and several limbs with splittable diameter down. Mountains of North Carolina (gusts up to 70 mph with 101.9 measured on top of Grandfather (just a few miles from me).

Unfortunately it did not take down a huge tree near me (not close enough to hit my house or outbuildings) that I have been dreading taking down - it is dead.

Man! I need to get up to Mass. and get some firewood! I got the Stihl, I got the Husqvarna, I got the Monster Maul.

Probably not cost-effective to drive from NC to Boston for a Nissan truckload of firewood.
But, that is always the first thing I think of when I hear reports of "trees down." There has got to be some good firewood there.

Cut up a twin trunk maple at my father's house yesterday, split a few large pieces, easy straight grained, The neighbor has a downed maple too, he told us we can have the wood. I'll start transporting around half the wood to my place soon. Finally convinced my father to take down another one leaning towards the house, the same tree I told him needs to come down 10 years ago when it was under 8" dia.

Man! I need to get up to Mass. and get some firewood! I got the Stihl, I got the Husqvarna, I got the Monster Maul.

Probably not cost-effective to drive from NC to Boston for a Nissan truckload of firewood.
But, that is always the first thing I think of when I hear reports of "trees down." There has got to be some good firewood there.

You could stop half way to Boston. Our roads and yards are absolutely littered with downed trees from Friday’s storm. Unfortunately, a lot of them are cedars, but I have two maples down in my yard.

Reactions: BobMcG
My town has so many downed trees, the forestry department is giving away log-length pieces free to anyone who wants it. I told them dump as much as they want at my place :D

Trees down....my back yard, the tree service said it's wild cherry and a maul ain't getting it. Would a splitter work for 25"inchish rounds?
Heck yea, we split black cherry all the time. It's great wood, dries out quickly and coals nicely. Isn't too hard to split either...can be a bit stringy I guess compared to red oak but is a far cry from sweetgum.

Long Island had 58k customers without power. They're down to 1300 now. I think Massachusetts hit 400k!

It also switched from spring to winter, which was rude of it. <>

I'll be hitting the woods soon to see what's down. There's a huge maple that I am thinking must have finished going over in all that wind.
Where in the world are you in LI where there are woods? Out East? My In-laws are in Blue Point.

Give it a year and some cable TV show will have some featured Waterfront Bargains ;) Some folks never learn and are encouraged to stay in high risk areas as flood insurance pays them to keep rebuilding.:mad:

Florida figured out after Hurricane Andrew, they brought in real inspectors, gave them backup and made sure that every rebuild and every new home met the special codes put in place. In many places the choice was tear it down or put it up on engineered stilts to get it above the flood zone. The older housing stock took a hit but the newer places built to code reportedly fared much better.

Give it a year and some cable TV show will have some featured Waterfront Bargains ;) Some folks never learn and are encouraged to stay in high risk areas as flood insurance pays them to keep rebuilding.:mad:

Florida figured out after Hurricane Andrew, they brought in real inspectors, gave them backup and made sure that every rebuild and every new home met the special codes put in place. In many places the choice was tear it down or put it up on engineered stilts to get it above the flood zone. The older housing stock took a hit but the newer places built to code reportedly fared much better.
I saw one guy in Louisiana built his house up high with reinforced concrete, garage and storage below, cost 10% more than typical cbc construction and when the last hurricane went through, no damage at all.

Where in the world are you in LI where there are woods? Out East? My In-laws are in Blue Point.

We're near Yaphank, but surrounded by nature preserve, so it'll never get developed unless they change local laws to allow them to develop or sell off the preserve. It's not like living on Long Island. :)

These places do exist on LI. The bad part is that it is really hard to find one for sale. The good part is that they go for much cheaper than houses in uninhabitable areas (think pavement, identical houses rubbing up against each other, HOAs, golf courses, strip malls...) The nicer the area, the cheaper the house on Long Island.

I used Zillow and Google Earth to find this one... set Zillow to only properties of 2+ acres (I'd do 50+ if I was anywhere else), filtered by price range, and then plug all those addresses into satellite mode Earth. When your screen turns green, you have a candidate. Then research the adjacent green plots... privately owned is bad (could be built on in the future). Nature preserve, county park, state park- all good.

Coworkers are often horrified. (How can you live THERE? You have to be CAREFUL. There could be BUGS!) :)

I'm not a local though; I can't live in a house that is surrounded by houses.

13-20" tonight. It might not be fluffy. This could be interesting...

Reactions: Ashful
They downgraded us to 1-4", not getting below freezing. It's raining slush right now. Everyone who watches a lot of tv is in "DEATH STORM ALERT" mode, but I am betting the pavement stays black. (Got the plow truck ready just in case, though!)

Edit: Now we're back up to 5-9". ;lol

Repeat of last week here ,too warm to be a big problem. were usually on the outer edges of these nor'easter's

They pumped our numbers up a little. 13-21". I gotta run out and get French Toast fixins'
MilkSammich.jpg ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: begreen and Ashful
I am supposed to be on the fringes of it as it looks coastal so the local mountains act as a wall to knock the totals down.

I guess i can hold off in putting the batteries in my Unimogs.

The first, very fine, flakes are falling here...

20180307_181001.jpg There are going to be a LOT more down trees on LI this noreaster. The pines are losing big branches everywhere- so much soaking wet, heavy snow at 33 degrees...

I pushed maybe 2" of snow, 1 blade width, down the driveway. The resulting pile was so heavy that it stopped an old steel plow truck, which weighs roughly 8000 pounds, dead in its tracks. I had to break it into thirds to move it.

No snow blower is going to be able to touch this stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had a relative in NY tell me that they had a tree snap off and crash down on their deck. The branches were just inches from their glass slider door. The good news is that the tree was only about 12" where it snapped. The bad news is that a corner of the deck and the BBQ are toast.

2 feet of white stuff today. it was a band of snow that dumped in the center of NJ.

I heard a rumor that in Connecticut, the tree clearing maintenance that they do for utilities actually chop and split the wood from the trees into piles where they get taken down and are free for the taking as firewood Just have to load and go with it. It'd be nice if they did that around here-