There's trees down all over the north east

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
Yesterday's nor'easter produced record winds. I was stopped on a highway last night for 3 hours waiting for the power company to get the wires off the road. It was a spectacular arcing fire until they got there.

My place in North East PA has no power. 16 inches of snow no power, with trees and wires down on every road. They say it will be a many days before power is on.

The only thing good about this, is I might have a few trees to cut up on the mountain in back of my house.

How everything by you? Anything down?

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Yesterday's nor'easter produced record winds. I was stopped on a highway last night for 3 hours waiting for the power company to get the wires off the road. It was a spectacular arcing fire until they got there.

My place in North East PA has no power. 16 inches of snow no power, with trees and wires down on every road. They say it will be a many days before power is on.

The only thing good about this, is I might have a few trees to cut up on the mountain in back of my house.

How everything by you? Anything down?
Similar story down here in SE PA, but less severe. Without power since 9 last night. Burning the insert without the blower for the first time. Works fine, we're just a little more watchful on reloads.

Took a drive around the neighborhood at about 7 this morning- large trees down all around, two unfortunately fell right on the power lines. Even broke the poles. Could be a day or two without juice. Good thing we have the stove and about 10 gallons of h2o that we set aside for these moments. If need be, we will melt snow for flushes and save the potable water for drinking.

Storms here too, high winds, rain, hail and a lotta snow in the Sierra. No trees down and since I'm in the central valley, no snow either.

Bad here too but mostly rain so the snow won't hamper efforts to get power back. Also won't hamper efforts the get firewood, I have my saw sharp.

Power out at 3 pm yesterday. Back on at 1 pm today. I could not get my generator started up, for what ever reason. I will be checking CL for free firewood the next few days. With these power outages and low temps (32 last night), it is a blessing to have 2 wood stoves in the house.

Up in northern NH it was a non event. No significant winds just 2" of wet snow in the driveway. We can get hammered by storms coming out of the west but when we get coastal northeasters, the mountains act as a shield.

Nevertheless I got the chainsaw out and dropped a few trees today on my woodlot ;).

Trees down....my back yard, the tree service said it's wild cherry and a maul ain't getting it. Would a splitter work for 25"inchish rounds?

Trees down....my back yard, the tree service said it's wild cherry and a maul ain't getting it. Would a splitter work for 25"inchish rounds?

Sound like a job for a splitter that can go vertical mode. 25 inch rounds are why you need vertical.

Reactions: WhitePlatinum
You just need to put your back into it. 25" cherry will split like a banana. Perhaps it's just soaking wet, try it again after it's had a little time to dry out.

Reactions: WhitePlatinum
We got hammered back in October . . . this time around we had a little bit of rain and some wind, but that was about it. I'm not complaining.

Reactions: Allagash350
Same here. Some of the wind blast got your attention, but I don't think I lost any trees. I was surprised that we didn't lose power.

We got an inch of snow/ice and then rain. The rain must have been real cold, since it didn't melt the new snow for a long time. Still pretty breezy today.

Power went out here at lunch time Friday, latest estimate is we’ll get it back by Wednesday. We are in a posh suburban neighborhood, not out in the boonies, so this is a record power outage, for us.

Several big trees down in my neighborhood, but only one big and two small down in my own yard. Sandy already took care of most anything that could be blown down, five years ago.

Got the genny running at 10 gal per day, and both Ashfords running hard over nights. Almost out of wood at the house, and it’s too soggy to get to my wood lot without severe lawn damage, so trying to stretch what’s already at the house.

Power went out here at lunch time Friday, latest estimate is we’ll get it back by Wednesday. We are in a posh suburban neighborhood, not out in the boonies, so this is a record power outage, for us.

Several big trees down in my neighborhood, but only one big and two small down in my own yard. Sandy already took care of most anything that could be blown down, five years ago.

Got the genny running at 10 gal per day, and both Ashfords running hard over nights. Almost out of wood at the house, and it’s too soggy to get to my wood lot without severe lawn damage, so trying to stretch what’s already at the house.
Posh, huh?

Posh, huh?

Buried utilities, new houses, a few neighbors carry some local sway. When power goes out, we are usually first on the repair list. One of the few benefits for paying 4x the local average in real estate taxes.

Unfortunately, this time, the damage is pretty severe. Several downed poles on the main road, each packed with big transformers, all of which were smashed in the fall.

Buried utilities, new houses, a few neighbors carry some local sway. When power goes out, we are usually first on the repair list. One of the few benefits for paying 4x the local average in real estate taxes.

Unfortunately, this time, the damage is pretty severe. Several downed poles on the main road, each packed with big transformers, all of which were smashed in the fall.
We're proud "low" country down here. You know, heating with wood and such. That said, rumor has it that a utility exec. lives in the 'hood, so our power comes back on quick.

Reactions: Ashful
I have a big maple to cut up and take home from my father's house. Went to Cape Cod to check my girlfriends house, power out all weekend. Lots of smoke from chimneys in the neighborhood. We stayed overnight and came back to my house. Cozy fire in my livingroom. I didn't lose power but still have a cozy fire.

The wind actually blew a TRAIN off the tracks in Perrysville MD while it was going over the river on a bridge. Some cars went into the river some still on the trestle. Takes some hellish winds to blow a train off the tracks. Edited: mistaken location,this was in Md.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doug MacIVER
We got hammered back in October . . . this time around we had a little bit of rain and some wind, but that was about it. I'm not complaining.

I told my wife as long as it wasn’t as bad as October I don’t care. We are fairly new homeowners with an 18 month old and that storm really was a wake up call. A week without power sucked, but it was still in the 50s at least.

After that we got a generator and transfer switch, and I finished installing our woodstove. It is nice to be self reliant.
I hope you all further south are fairing ok, and staying warm!

We're proud "low" country down here. You know, heating with wood and such. That said, rumor has it that a utility exec. lives in the 'hood, so our power comes back on quick.
Almost as good as having a cop living in the hood, maybe even better.

Almost as good as having a cop living in the hood, maybe even better.
We have that, too! Nicest guy you've ever met. He lives in the most inaccessible place around, we live at the entrance to his driveway. We don't worry about crime here, though- burglars take one look at Chez 3000, and rightly think, nothin worth taking, there...

Reactions: Ashful
In northern CT its almost a non event. Only the occasional tree down every once in a while.
Power loss seemed rare. We didn't lose power.

Long Island had 58k customers without power. They're down to 1300 now. I think Massachusetts hit 400k!

It also switched from spring to winter, which was rude of it. <>

I'll be hitting the woods soon to see what's down. There's a huge maple that I am thinking must have finished going over in all that wind.

It also switched from spring to winter, which was rude of it.

True’dat. We’re expecting another 4” - 8” snack down on Wednesday, but no high winds with this one. Back yard is so soggy, it’s going to be awhile before I can clean up the trees this storm brought down (one big, many smaller), and the grass is already starting to grow! Ma nature is all confused.

My hood got 2' of very wet heavy snow. Pines took a beating. But they do a really good job around here of keeping trees back from lines. No power interruptions.