Thermal Grease

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dogwood

Minister of Fire
Mar 22, 2009
Western VA
Is thermal grease the right name for the stuff you put into an aquastat well to help the aquastat bulb make better contact with the well's wall. I need to pick some up tomorrow at the plumbing supply store and would like to ask for the right thing. Are there any brands any of you normally use or could recommend?

And if any of you happen to know, should the grease be put in the well on the top of a Solo Innova for the overheat aquastat. or in the other well that holds three different bulbs in it. The instructions don't say and I forgot to ask the BioHeat tech the other day when I called with another question.

Mike

An aquastat should come with a bit of grease, perhaps it is in a pile somewhere?

I get it at HVAC supply places. I'll bet automotive and electronic stores would have it also. Get a small tube, it doesn't seem to have much of a shelf life.

hr

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    182.3 KB · Views: 426
Thanks Dune and HR. Dune, I found out Honeywell doesn't provide the thermal grease with their aquastats any more. Apparently they used to. The three aquastats I have from them all came without. I'll have to try another plumbing supply place in Roanoke. My usual supplier said they didn't stock it, and every other plumbing supply place was closed on Saturday. Appreciate the picture HR.

Mike

Thanks for the lead welderboyjk. We do have a Graingers in town.

Does the stuff any of you use set up or harden in the well? I read online some types do not harden, so you can replace an aquastat without having to replace a well it has adhered. Sounds like this would be a sensible thing. Maybe that's the difference between thermal grease, thermal compound, thermal paste and thermal mastic. Would there be any advantage to a hardening type, or are all types really the same? I was also told to look for thermal grease with a metallic content as it conducts better.

Any thoughts or experience dealing with this matter. I know its a small detail, but the devil is usually in the details.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.