Thermometer inside insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeePee

Nov 15, 2008
Mississauga, Ontario
I purchased a magnetic stove thermometer for my insert, but have had trouble getting a decent read on operating temperatures. I have an Osburn 2200 insert with bay window door and the only place to put the thermometer is on the top of the unit. The problem is that the cook-top plate is removable and has an air space below it and isn't really in contact with the body of the firebox. Inside the door frame, there are two large rectangular surfaces which are seldom licked by flames, can I put the thermometer on these supports? As it stands the temperature is in the 250 - 300 range, the glass is clean, no smoke outside and its generally 27 - 29* in the house ( varies with outdoor conditions ).

Thanks,
DP

You better read it quick because the paid will probably be singed! :lol: Really, I would not. Get an IR.

I've got the 1800i and I have the gauge on the cooktop down angle so it's easier to read ... current reading 400+. I'd pull the cooktop and put the gauge on the firebox beneath it but I don't think the ove-glove will keep me from melting! And melting is what the gauge would do inside the firebox... even if it held up the paint on it would be toast me thinks.

Sniff,sniff--I smell a thermomoter melting :lol:

Thanks for everyone's feedback - in the end I've decided its not such a hot idea and will leave the thermometer on the top. I've found that putting it on backwards with the flat part against the surround is giving much better results. After a few days of practice I wasn't loading the stove properly and some initial beginner's luck had me on the wrong path. I can maintain 475* now with the blower running.

Best regards,
DP

Status
Not open for further replies.