Thermostat / Air Control repair question Vermont Castings Encore 2550

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frenchy

Feb 1, 2011
Northeast
My thermostat on my Encore 2550 is springy now. Instead of moving fluidly from one side to the other, it will move about a third of the way (from the fullopen position) and then bounce to the closed position.

I removed the right side panel yesterday to repair something else, and must have messed it up somehow.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Does anyone have a service manual online about this?

I found the old service manual for the 0028 on htis site, and am not sure if things have changed since then.

Thanks,

Frenchy

I remember dealing with this in the past. (15 years ago) That would sometimes happen when a stove was shipped new and cement from manufacturing would ooze out and get on the cable that runs from the lever to the thermostat flap. It normally involved taking the stove apart and chipping out the cement. If you just did some work on the stove, you may have pinched that wire. It runs up from the back/bottom of the stove inside the hollow side of the stove, up to the handle.

Thanks for your response - you gave me a clue about what to do.

I was able to get through to VC's tech support in Canada, and they gave me some additional information, and emailed me the service manual plus some additional instructions about how to fix the thermostat.

The thermostat is fixed now - strange wire assembly.

I had read some old posts in the past that said that VC's service department wouldn't send out manuals. This wasn't the case at all (they have changed ownership since those old posts, which were dated in 2008). I did tell him that we had 20 inches of snow coming and I couldn't get someone in here to fix it, but that didn't seem to matter to him. He seemed happy to help, so if any of you have trouble in the future, you can call 877-863-4350.

Frenchy said:
Thanks for your response - you gave me a clue about what to do.

I was able to get through to VC's tech support in Canada, and they gave me some additional information, and emailed me the service manual plus some additional instructions about how to fix the thermostat.

The thermostat is fixed now - strange wire assembly.

I had read some old posts in the past that said that VC's service department wouldn't send out manuals. This wasn't the case at all (they have changed ownership since those old posts, which were dated in 2008). I did tell him that we had 20 inches of snow coming and I couldn't get someone in here to fix it, but that didn't seem to matter to him. He seemed happy to help, so if any of you have trouble in the future, you can call 877-863-4350.

Welcome aboard Frenchy! It's good to hear that VC is giving good tech support! Stay warm and good luck..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.