Thermostat/Rheostat SLOW to Detect Heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sequimer

Nov 13, 2022
Sequim
I have an RSF OPEL2 woodturning fireplace. The thermostat (FO-FDHC4 Wall Thermostat kit) takes an hour to heat up before warm air begins to get distributed by the internal blower. I would love to bypass that thermostatic hesitation, but cannot find an explicit diagram.. I only find vague diagrams that show black boxes, not actual pictures of the wiring. I expect a wire nut could connect 2 wires once I cut out that thermocouple, but I cannot find discussions about doing that in there under the firebox. Any better suggestions as to how to get past that clunky thermo control so that I can just turn the rheostat switch on the wall and make the internal blower blow?

My understanding is that the wall thermostat controls a damper motor and is not connected to or related to the blower operation. The wall thermostat responds only to room temperature. Bypassing it will not affect the blower on time.

The blower activation is determined by the temperature of the fireplace firebox, not the room temperature. On a cold startup, it takes time for the entire firebox body to heat up. An hour is not unusual. There is a lot of mass to get up to temperature. Turning on the blower too early may affect the secondary burn as it cools down the firebox. Once the firebox has been heated up, the blower should respond more promptly. The blower is activated when the temperature at the thermostatic snap disk on the bottom of the firebox reaches its "on" temperature. Usually, this is around 125º.