They've made my mind for me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lowtech

Nov 27, 2012
CT
At the start of this winter I had decided that next winter was the year I would make the switch over to a stove to heat my house. With that in mind I've been busy gathering and processing wood so I'd be ready to go. So far I've got about 2 cords of everyday type wood to burn and a cord of red oak for future use. And still have logs and rounds waiting for me to pick them up.
Well my oil tank was getting low so I had a delivery made last week, today the bill arrived $603.85 for 153.3 gal. That's on top of the $350 I spent on oil at the start of the winter.
I can't wait for the spring to take a ride up to New Hampshire pick out my Woodstock stove. All other spring house work will wait until the stove is installed and ready to go.
And I can say "I no longer work for the oil company"

Yep, nothing like $4/gal oil to make the payback on a stove look pretty good... Heck I've got relatively cheap natural gas and I'd still rather burn wood. I save the natural gas for limited use in the garage.

You'll love the Woodstock Company experience! Wait until you see their workmanship close up! You'll be soooo glad you went and looked! Plus you get to be treated like family;lol.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Atta boy! Welcome to the world of warmth and relaxation,We'll be waiting for the installation pics.

Good for you! It's relatively easy, cost effective and better for the environment to heat with wood. I have spent less than $200 on fuel oil over the last 6 years.. and it feels great! Good choice PH, I occasionally go there to drool- they look awesome!

At the start of this winter I had decided that next winter was the year I would make the switch over to a stove to heat my house. With that in mind I've been busy gathering and processing wood so I'd be ready to go. So far I've got about 2 cords of everyday type wood to burn and a cord of red oak for future use. And still have logs and rounds waiting for me to pick them up.
Well my oil tank was getting low so I had a delivery made last week, today the bill arrived $603.85 for 153.3 gal. That's on top of the $350 I spent on oil at the start of the winter.
I can't wait for the spring to take a ride up to New Hampshire pick out my Woodstock stove. All other spring house work will wait until the stove is installed and ready to go.
And I can say "I no longer work for the oil company"

For sure that would want to make me head to Woodstock too. Also would like to congratulate you on getting wood now. More need to do it but most wait until the stove is in before getting wood.

For sure that red oak will not be ready to burn next year. Really great firewood but gives up its moisture very reluctantly. If you can, get a couple more cord of wood (not oak) and make sure you get it all split as soon as possible. Stack it rather loosely in the windiest spot you have on your place. Air circulation is the key to drying wood and also it won't dry much at all until it has been split.

Good luck.

Reactions: etiger2007
Status
Not open for further replies.