Thimble crack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Green Mtn Boy

Nov 19, 2008
Northern Vermont
Just finished brushing out my heat exchange tubes and I gazed over at my chimney thimble to see a crack along it's length near top dead center. How concerned should I be? The mason left the thimbles out about 8 inches. I thought this was a little long but it never occurred to me they might crack. Must have gotten a little hot at some point when I was loading more wood on and the flames were going over the top and out.

My chimney thimble protrudes about 4''. I checked the temp last night, with the stove running about 395F, the exposed part of the thimble was under 200F. Personaly I would replace it imediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.