Thimble Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

casey1brockman

Jan 28, 2022
Ohio
Long time lurker, first time poster. There are quite a few threads already around this topic, but I've not seen one specifically for my scenario and since I'm a bit paranoid I figured I would ask a question specifically to my scenario.

I'm about to install a pellet stove in my basement (within the next year most likely) and I'm going to run the venting up my finished wall (about 6-7 feet) and out poured concrete side wall and do a clean out T on the exterior of my home, run it up a few feet and then put an end cap on the pipe (unless one of you wise folks tells me otherwise :)).

My concern is around the thimble (I want to over engineer this since... you know... fire) I'm going to be passing through .5 inch drywall, 3.5 inches of 2x4, 2 inches of foam insulation, and then 8 inches of concrete. If my math is correct that is 14 inches of horizontal venting. Do I need to be paranoid about attaching the inside and outside thimble pieces? Or as long as i get the thimble through the combustibles on the inside of the home and into the concrete will i be safe? Do they make 14 inch long thimble sleeves?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Reactions: Mt Bob
It is not uncommon to make an inner thimble extension by using a wrap of thin sheet metal,and meets code in almost all places.

Reactions: Washed-Up