Thinking about a wood stove in the basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nanama72

Mar 9, 2008
Western MA
We have an extra flu to our chimney in our basement and are thinking of putting in a wood stove.

We generally head our house with a pellet stove insert and barely use oil. Having a wood stove in the basement would be extra security for power outages in terms of heating our home and may make it a bit warmer if we chose to use it in the winter.

The questions I have are:

1. The flue is pretty close to the forced hot air propane fired furnace. Would having a wood stove near the hot air furnace harm the furnace at all? I've read that potentially we could turn on the fan and blow the hot air through the house.

2. I've read that insulating the walls really reduces the heat loss if you have a wood stove in the basement. We have a lot of things on the wall, such as a radiant heating system that would make insulation difficult. I don't know how that would work in terms of insulating.

3. We are short on funds. We're not sure the cost of insulating the walls but could get an estimate from a contractor. Would it make more sense to insulate the floor as well as the walls or start with just the walls and then the floor at a later time.

Thanks so much. Any information would be appreciated.

Look into a wood furnace. sets next to your propane furnace and hook into the duct work to heat your whole house.

Status
Not open for further replies.