Thinking about buying an MS290? Now hear this.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MasterMech

Reliable sources (;)) in the field have reported that the MS290 is limited to available inventory only. So when they're gone, they're gone.

I have not heard about anything being introduced to fill that $399 price point so that leaves the MS291, a decent saw for sure but a $100 price difference.

I will post more if/when I hear more of the details.

If you are checking on chainsaws at 03:35 am you have it bad MasterMech! ;lol Hey, I "saw" your Canyon in another thread about wood haulers. Looks nice with those larger wheels. Maybe a 2" suspension lift, nothing to much, would make those wheels look even cooler. Plus give you a little more ground clearance. I added a 3" front suspension lift on my Tundra Crewmax with 2" blocks in the rear.

Oh, I own a Farm Boss 290. Love it.

Does this mean my new MS290 will be a classic someday, and go up in value (lol)......love mine also, although the 20" bar is pushing it

Reactions: Gasifier
Does this mean my new MS290 will be a classic someday, and go up in value (lol)......love mine also, although the 20" bar is pushing it

I have an 18" bar on mine. They were selling them with 16" bars on the ones they had displayed when I bought mine. I told them I needed an 18". No problem, it has enough power for that. Your saw will always be worth what someone is willing to pay for it. !!! ;lol

I just bought one about 2 weeks ago.
I got 30 bucks off on an email thing from stihl.
I got it with a 16 in bar and chain.

I also had 200 buck in gift cards I needed to burn.
349 out the door with a case. I did buy a 6 pk of oil.

Does this mean my new MS290 will be a classic someday, and go up in value (lol)....................................

I'm going to head right out and buy everyone I can lay my hands on! (not) :p

I've postulated that the MS290 is Stihl's more modern version of the 028 in the sense that they sold a ton of them, they are good and reliable homeowner saws, and they'll start becoming family heirlooms like we so often see with 028s

Reliable sources (;)) in the field have reported that the MS290 is limited to available inventory only. So when they're gone, they're gone.

I have not heard about anything being introduced to fill that $399 price point so that leaves the MS291, a decent saw for sure but a $100 price difference.

I will post more if/when I hear more of the details.

So MasterMech how do you feel about the 271? I've been looking at my options and thinking either the 290 or 271 for a reasonably priced, do most anything, homeowner firewood saw.
PJ

What's a 261 going for?

$560 IIRC with a 16", add a few bucks ($10?) for every jump up in bar size. Less than a $100 difference from the MS291 and if it's my money, it's going to be a MS261 for sure. ==c

If you are checking on chainsaws at 03:35 am you have it bad MasterMech! ;lol

You'll notice most of my posts are made in the wee hours of the AM on weekdays. I work 3rd shift. ;) The more posts, the slower the night was for me. ;lol

Maybe a 2" suspension lift, nothing to much, would make those wheels look even cooler. Plus give you a little more ground clearance.

I've thought about it, if it would cure the slight (and I mean slight...) rub on the splash guards, then I'd be even more motivated to do it. I kinda like how well they fill the wheel-wells tho.

I've thought about it, if it would cure the slight (and I mean slight...) rub on the splash guards, then I'd be even more motivated to do it. I kinda like how well they fill the wheel-wells tho.

I am not sure how much more clearance there will be, but a garage who does lift kit installations could tell you. You could probably find someplace on the net that could tell you. I know mind provided mordant clearance so I could go with a slightly larger tire. I went to a 33", the originals were 32". So that also gets you another 1/2" of clearance. I don't like the looks of too much lift. But I think a 2-3 inches on your truck would look great.

Reactions: TreePointer
Just buy a Dolmar & don't worry about what stihls doing !

Tell me, does the sand get in your nose when your head's buried like that?
th_pokewstick.gif

:p

Does Dolmar have a MS290 equivalent? 3.8 hp/57cc for under $400?

IIRC they were tuned lean from the factory, too lean for US fuel in fact. Only a few dealers were wise enough to catch it before the saw kicked the bucket.

They were set too lean by dealers. The rev limiters were new and most dealers set by ear... Can do that with a rev limited saw as the limiter sounds almost identical to four stroking.

I bought a brand new one, actually one of the first ones one AS when then came out.. Never had an issue.. Awesome saw, but doesn't hold a candle to the 550xp...

Plenty of 029/290's have schit the bed wide awake from lean settings or bad mix

Thought you were stuck on the "1" series saws??

Selling a 460 to get a 461?

Why buy a Plastic whale of a 290?

Guess people love that name! "Farm Boss" really means something?

Don't sell a Pro saw to get a Homeowners saw.... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.