Thinking its beech?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Beech grows exclusively on fairly steep, well drain slopes. The photo you posted looks like a wet, bottomland forest. Accurate identification of ANY tree requires looking at leaves, twigs, bark, habitat and what part of the country you live in. Otherwise, about all that can be said of this tree is that it's a hardwood, deciduous tree. But it will burn and provide heat regardless of what species it is.
Thanks for the info. The area is low lying and very wet so I was surprised to see them there. There are some larger ones and I will try to get better pics as the spring progresses.

In Ontario, the beech tree grows in
  • Size: Up to 25 meters tall
  • Moisture: moist, well-drained soils required
  • Shade: Very shade-tolerant
  • From his photo that is very similar to where I have beech growing
It is very boggy where that was taken, some large poplars have been uprooted with big wind.