Thinking of buying the Buck Stove Model 85

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stowy

Nov 26, 2007
Central NC - Raleigh
The only bad thing I hear about this stove is that there is not an access panel for yearly sweep of the liner. Instead you have to remove the Surround, pull the stove out a bit, unhook the liner and sweep...

Any opinions on this stove?

I guess if you all tell me it is substandard, then I start looking at Regency. Jotul and Lopi - while they are SWEET are out of my price range.

Thank you and sorry to ask so many questions. Now to look up online and see if I need a permit/inspection.

Stowyo - Future Fire Person!!

I was looking at them online, but never saw any in person. I can't speak for the quality, but the designs didn't quite grab me the way some other stoves did.

In the end, I found a great deal on an Englander on craigslist. After reading posts on this forum, I gathered that Englander stoves are a pretty good value. They're good stoves but they don't break the bank.

I'm curious as to what others have to say about the Buck stoves though.

-SF

Thanks. If the guy ever gets here, I may order it. lay told me this morning at the gas station that she has two stoves in her bard and would give me both. I may have to check that out early next week instead!

Don't have one but Buck has had a good reputation for their stoves for over 20 years. Since the 85 uses secondary burn tubes and a baffle setup like a lot of other non-cats I have a hard time believing that the baffles can't be removed for cleaning instead of lugging the stove out and disconnecting the liner.

Give Buck a call and ask them about this. Or, it you have a local dealer go take a look at one and talk to them about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.