Thinking of changing from wood to gas fireplace...maybe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

T.LaVergne

Feb 9, 2020
Ohio
I am 65 and have been heating with wood my whole life. I have an old Buckmate fireplace insert. I love burning wood but am getting tired of cutting wood, ash, dirt, etc. The thought of pushing a button and having a warm fire is starting to sound good. However I read of mechanical problems with gas units. The only thing to break on my Buckmate is the blower and I have never had a problem with it in 20 years. Anybody else made the switch from wood to gas? If so I would appreciate some insight. On the fence...
Thanks,
TL

Last edited:
I made the switch from wood to gas at 51.
Had a Regency I3100L & burned on average 7 cords a season.
Although the heat is not that of wood, I don't regret doing it.
The gas insert is now 18 years old & I have changed exactly ONE thermocouple in it.
If you are worried about mechanical issues, the only thing in them is the blower.
I'm a fan of standing pilot units, but they are getting harder & harder to come by.
The electronic units are more energy efficient, but that efficiency means there
are more components that can fail.

Reactions: CamFan
I look at it a different way than you do and I am 75 and just bought a little wood stove to put in my (to be finished back porch) just for a emergency use just in case with this "crazy world activity" to feel secure in case "everything" goes to a loss of power. I can keep warm and have a cup of coffee in my own home if something happened in the wintertime. I am a worry wort too. lol.. At your age those gas inserts would be a lot easier for you and they have thermostats and keep the temperature right where you want it to be..Yes I would get one but also think about a future "black out" possibility and have some other thing lined up even a small stove that you could burn wood in if you felt like it just down size but be good to yourself too. clancey

Reactions: JohnWW
I have thought about that as well since the oil embargo in the 70's. My woodburner is a fireplace insert and without the fan running it won't throw any heat out. The fan also keeps the woodburner from overheating by pulling heat away from it. So I have a generator and always keep 20 gallons of fuel stored to get me by for a week or more (plus what I could siphon out of the cars). I guess I just have to have faith that my natural gas line would not go down with the power. I guess I put the most faith in my generator to keep things going if they are down for a week or so. I also have a camper to retreat to that uses very little resources to keep running indefinitely. Appreciate the view point.