This $45 saw is the best logging tool addition I’ve ever made... maybe...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WiscWoody

Minister of Fire
Dec 24, 2011
Winter WI
E1A2FA56-BC61-4533-9064-06E19EEDBF1C.jpeg
Does anyone else here use a miter or chop saw for smaller branch cuts in their work area? I put one under the eaves of my shed and I cover it with a good canvas tarp when it’s not in use and I leave it there year around. The saw is just a cheap Menards Tool Shop brand I got for $45 but it’s cut a lot of wood that I used to use the chain saw on with them rolling up on me or dulling the chain in dirt from not using a log stand, the name of which escapes me now.... now I have a huge 14x5 foot pile of smaller wood and kindling also covered with canvas tarps to burn.

And yes that is my thumb in the photo, similar to many other photos I have on my iPhone....:)

PS, and I have to be very careful since as you can see I have removed the blade guard to give me a bit more capacity with the saw. I have a bigger saw on the shelf that I got a deal on but for now I’ll use this saw... carefully. And there’s no kids around to worry about getting their hands on it either.

Last edited:
I use a different item that i will share with you all shortly

I tried my beat up old circle saw on a pile of branches one day. Wound up feeling like it was too much hassle, and went back to the little 30cc Echo.

I was also a little surprised at the level of kickback hazard that is when working with a circle saw and odd shaped wood (used to cutting dimensional lumber with it).

The miter saw (or a table saw) would be better than that, but I'm usually not within 200' of an outlet when processing branchwood.

I tried my beat up old circle saw on a pile of branches one day...

I was also a little surprised at the level of kickback hazard that is when working with a circle saw and odd shaped wood

A hand-held circular saw has way too much torque and way too much kickback to use on anything you cannot put the flat sole plate on solidly and squarely.

Reactions: WiscWoody
A hand-held circular saw has way too much torque and way too much kickback to use on anything you cannot put the flat sole plate on solidly and squarely.
Right, if theres no fence or keep the wood against and no way to stabilize the saw and control it’s saw speed then the blade will want to pull itself into the wood too fast and jam the blade. It wouldn’t work well at all. Even with a miter saw you have to cut slowly through the wood on bigger pieces or is might roll on you and the blade will jam. I’ve never come close to being injured yet but I’ve had to pound the wood off of the blade not a big deal really if you stop the saw before you toast any wires.

View attachment 202035 Does anyone else here use a miter or chop saw for smaller branch cuts in their work area? I put one under the eaves of my shed and I cover it with a good canvas tarp when it’s not in use and I leave it there year around. The saw is just a cheap Menards Tool Shop brand I got for $45 but it’s cut a lot of wood that I used to use the chain saw on with them rolling up on me or dulling the chain in dirt from not using a log stand, the name of which escapes me now.... now I have a huge 14x5 foot pile of smaller wood and kindling also covered with canvas tarps to burn.

And yes that is my thumb in the photo, similar to many other photos I have on my iPhone....:)

PS, and I have to be very careful since as you can see I have removed the blade guard to give me a bit more capacity with the saw. I have a bigger saw on the shelf that I got a deal on but for now I’ll use this saw... carefully. And there’s no kids around to worry about getting their hands on it either.

I use my 12” sliding compound miter saw from HF with a rough cut blade if I have a lot of small cutting to do. I find it to be fairly efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
View attachment 202035 Does anyone else here use a miter or chop saw for smaller branch cuts in their work area? I put one under the eaves of my shed and I cover it with a good canvas tarp when it’s not in use and I leave it there year around. The saw is just a cheap Menards Tool Shop brand I got for $45 but it’s cut a lot of wood that I used to use the chain saw on with them rolling up on me or dulling the chain in dirt from not using a log stand, the name of which escapes me now.... now I have a huge 14x5 foot pile of smaller wood and kindling also covered with canvas tarps to burn.

So that is an exceptionally artistic round you are about to cut up there. Kinda like a Bob Ross painting!

I use my Radial Arm Saw with a stop and can cut 5 or 6 at a time .
They have to be less than 6 in high because that is the max clearance and still cut through

506302F2-6224-4D0A-9181-D1B97C04E05B.jpeg
So that is an exceptionally artistic round you are about to cut up there. Kinda like a Bob Ross painting!
I’ll have to look up Bob Ross.... but the small log is from a dead Birch I just cut down on my lot. I think it was killed by Yellow Bellied Sapsuckers as it had quite a bit of damage from them on the tree. Here’s some more but there was more than this.

Update, I looked him up... now I know who he was, the PBS Painter! Lol :)

Reactions: VirginiaIron
I sometimes use a sliding mitre saw to cut smaller branches but I split the branches first so that there is a flat surface to sit on the saw deck. Otherwise the log can spin when the blade hits it and injure your hand.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
I figured the photo with your thumb in view was to prove to folks that you had not chopped off your thumb using the chop saw. ;) :)