This cherry wants to burn.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Two year old cherry splits direct sun, split huge , most 8in by 6in, some 6in by 4in, these loads are burning in the King easily 18 hours , temps in 20's here's after 18 hours still throwing heat picture not the best. I'll burn this till single digits hit.

c1.jpg c2.jpg

I love cherry. It seasons to perfection in one season, looks great, smells great, and burns well. I like to mix it in with my oak and ash to keep the coal amounts down.

Next year I'll have about a cord of then 3 year old cherry. Looking forward to that.

Reactions: clancey
I can be on the island in 3 hours with my trailer. I'll take that off your hands.
I know. As I have enough "easier" wood that year, if we swap it for (seasoned...) Locust, I might think about it.
(Also that ferry will be expensive...)

I know. As I have enough "easier" wood that year, if we swap it for (seasoned...) Locust, I might think about it.
(Also that ferry will be expensive...)
No need for the ferry can just drive down the coast theu the city! I don't any locust but I've got 2 cords of fully seasoned red oak and 2 more cords with 1 year on the racks. Let's trade! I wonder what a fair seasoned oak to cherry ratio would be hmmm....

I avoid the city like the plague.
Cherry is worth what the most crazy person will trade for it 😝

I think your BK is salivating at the thought of some nice dense, perfectly seasoned red oak...

• Haha
Reactions: stoveliker
That's the season after next. I only have red oak then (and a little bit of locust).

This year I've got a nice mix of primarily maple then some red oak, ash, and cherry. Moving forward the next few years I'll be using primarily 2 year old red oak and some maple. Given my current storage situation I can stay 2 full years ahead and change which is just enough to keep harvesting green oak. It seasons nicely in 2 years here.

I'm hoping to get my hands on some more "soft hardwoods" like red maple or cherry to mix in for shoulder seasons to come so I'm not burning oak in November and March. They season in 1 year and are much better for quick hot fires. We shall see what the tree guy brings!

This year I have oak, sassafras, ash, and pine. About 3 cords. 3 parts oak, 1 part each sass, ash, and pine. And a little cedar and dogwood (scrounging days...) The sassafras gets me two more fires and then it's gone.

I've been lucky that I could ask my tree guy for the type of wood (hence the ferry next year, mixed with ash and oak). But I had some old rounds laying that I split after my shed was done. And that was all oak. So the year after next is only oak. And hopefully a pine tree to go with it.

That's the season after next. I only have red oak then (and a little bit of locust).

We are fortunate to have such great wood around us naturally. I can see dozens of red oak, maples, and birch trees simply looking out my front window. Then there are also plenty of hickory, elm, standing dead ash (damn you ALB), and apple trees around too.

I can get 5 cords of pine for $100 because no one wants it. It's crazy.

This year I have oak, sassafras, ash, and pine. About 3 cords. 3 parts oak, 1 part each sass, ash, and pine. And a little cedar and dogwood (scrounging days...) The sassafras gets me two more fires and then it's gone.

I've been lucky that I could ask my tree guy for the type of wood (hence the ferry next year, mixed with ash and oak). But I had some old rounds laying that I split after my shed was done. And that was all oak. So the year after next is only oak. And hopefully a pine tree to go with it.
I can usually request species. This load of red oak I just got was a local job literally around the corner and I couldn't turn it down even though I've got oak up to my eyeballs and would really prefer some other woods. Can't hurt getting it up now. I'll just fine more space for the rest and hopefully survive my wife lol.

The pine no one wants, but I like to have some. We cut that at a friend's place.

I have about a cord but it's gigantic splits all 20-24" long I got for free. A tree fell on a guys house and it was on the curb split split free. He split it so folks would take it...it was gone in days! It makes excellent fire pit wood as it burns hot/fast, smells nice, and leaves no mess. I just dont want any part of splitting it, it's a bear, especially when there's much better wood around.

Hm. Mine are all 18" long. But I just split two wheelbarrows (fun little activity after work and before dark), and they all went with one whack. 14-16" dia.

So I guess a different kind of pine...

As you can probably tell from my posts here I tend to go big with the wood deliveries lol. Your BK nibbles on that wood whereas my non-cat likes to gulp it down! We've been keeping it warmer this year since we have the wood. Wife and kids been liking it 69-71. I personally prefer 68 ish but I am the minority here and know it!

As you can probably tell from my posts here I tend to go big with the wood deliveries lol. Your BK nibbles on that wood whereas my non-cat likes to gulp it down! We've been keeping it warmer this year since we have the wood. Wife and kids been liking it 69-71. I personally prefer 68 ish but I am the minority here and know it!

I actually think the eating habits of our stoves are not that different - if the efficiencies are similar. I mean, weight of wood is BTUs. You put BTUs in, and you get BTUs out multiplied by the (<1) efficiency factor. Given that efficiencies for modern stoves like yours and mine are not all that different, the munching speed won't be that different for similar heat output "requests". The one difference is that I can decrease the requested output more on mine without clogging up the chimney.

Back to cherry. I like the fast seasoning. Will have to see how it compares to e.g. maple when I burn it next year. And the color of the wood is nice.

Cherry definitely seasons faster than maple but I find they are both ready after one season here. Cherry almost seasons like a soft wood if cut in regular sized splits it's done in like 6 months. I agree it's definitely the prettiest firewood we have around here. I'd love to get some black walnut, imagine how beautiful a stack of BW and Cherry would look?

I think you're right about the efficiency, I didn't word that well. We use the same wood/BTU need. Using a non-cat stove and the family liking a warm house I'm just asking for more BTUs at a time whereas you can request less over a longer time.