This Could Be The Last Time I Am Able To Cut Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
Last time this winter, that is. At least I got a week more cutting this year than the last two winters. It started snowing hard the last day of November 2007 and never quit until April 2008 when I was finally able to get back out in the woods. December 1st was when the heavy snow came last year, but I was able to get out in the woods in February because of an icestorm and a thaw/freeze that put a crust on top so I could drive on it.

With my wood haulin' rig, anything much over 6 inches at one time is too much snow to work with. If we get 6 inches at a time and I can pack the trails down in between, then I'm ok for awhile. A foot of snow in one storm, and I'm stuck.

Not that I have any shortage of firewood ready to burn and really need to cut more at this time!

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT CST
WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 1 TO 4 INCHES WILL OCCUR BY SUNSET. THE
HEAVIEST SNOWFALL WILL OCCUR TONIGHT...WITH TOTAL SNOW
ACCUMULATIONS OF 8 TO AS MUCH AS 15 INCHES BY THE TIME THE SNOW
ENDS WEDNESDAY.

* NORTH WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO INCREASE TO 20 TO 30 MPH LATE
TONIGHT AND CONTINUE THROUGH WEDNESDAY EVENING. GUSTS UP TO 40
MPH WILL CAUSE CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW...AND SOME
LOCALIZED WHITEOUT CONDITIONS IN OPEN AREAS AND OVER HIGHER
TERRAIN.

* FALLING TEMPERATURES COMBINED WITH STRONG WINDS SHOULD PRODUCE
WIND CHILL VALUES OF 15 TO 20 BELOW ZERO WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS FROM THIS STORM INCLUDE THE POSSIBILITY OF NEAR WHITE
OUT CONDITIONS...ROAD CLOSURES AND IMPOSSIBLE TRAVEL...
ESPECIALLY ON THE RIDGE TOPS AND IN OPEN COUNTRY.

Pictures from this morning. It's snowing just enough now to get me wet, so came in to set by the fire!
IMG_4815.jpg

IMG_4822.jpg

IMG_4830.jpg

IMG_4834.jpg

IMG_4835.jpg

almost fell out of my chair quads stop that, thought you got hurt or something.

Ha ha, fooled ya! It would take a lot more than getting hurt to stop me from making firewood. I'd have to be dead.

They've upgraded our weather alert now:
BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT CST WEDNESDAY
NIGHT.
WINTER STORM WARNING IS CANCELLED.

THE NATL WEATHER SVC IN LA CROSSE HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD
WARNING.WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT CST WED NIGHT.
THIS REPLACES THE WINTER STORM WARNING.

* SNOWFALL FROM 1 TO 4 INCHES WILL ACCUMULATE BY SUNSET. SNOW WILL
THEN INCREASE IN INTENSITY FOR THE EVENING & OVERNIGHT HRS.
WITH TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 10 TO AS MUCH AS 16 INCHES BY
THE TIME THE SNOW ENDS WEDNESDAY.

* NO. WINDS ARE EXPECTED TO INCREASE TO 20 TO 30 MPH LATE
TONIGHT & CONTINUE THROUGH WED EVENING. GUSTS UP TO 45
MPH WILL CAUSE BLIZZARD CONDITIONS WITH NEAR ZERO VISIBILITY IN
BLOWING SNOW.& SEVERE DRIFTING.

* FALLING TEMPS COMBINED WITH STRONG WINDS SHOULD PRODUCE
WIND CHILL VALUES OF 15 TO 20 BELOW ZERO WED NIGHT.

* THIS IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS STORM. WHITEOUT CONDITIONS.WITH
ROAD CLOSURES & IMPOSSIBLE TRAVEL ARE EXPECTED. COMBINED WITH
THE SEVERE COLD.THIS STORM MAY RESULT IN LOSS OF LIFE IF
PROPER PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN.

Quad, you dirty behive, I felt so sorry I almost thought I could go up and help you. Almost.

Ha ha!

Well, it does look like my wood cuttin' is over for awhile. I haven't actually been outside yet, will be shortly when I go down to the barn, but at 4:00am it looks like we got about a foot of snow so far and still coming down just as hard as it did all night. It was up on the chest of our old yellow lab when she went out and the beagle disappeared in it!

On the bright side, I guess I'll have lots of snow pictures later.

quads said:
Ha ha!

Well, it does look like my wood cuttin' is over for awhile. I haven't actually been outside yet, will be shortly when I go down to the barn, but at 4:00am it looks like we got about a foot of snow so far and still coming down just as hard as it did all night. It was up on the chest of our old yellow lab when she went out and the beagle disappeared in it!

On the bright side, I guess I'll have lots of snow pictures later.

My cairn terrier didn't have a chance. He barked at the snow to try to make it go away and then lifted a leg off the front stoop.
I would have thrown him into the front yard to pee, but then I'd have to go get him in my bathrobe. Still snowing hard here too.

Well you certainly earned a break quads...I do indoor project when the weather gets bad. No, I'm not crazy about it but it does pass the time.

Well - I grabbed this thread quick, too, when I read the title. You got me, Quads. :)
What's that little windshield to the right of your handlebars? I'm not a 4-wheeler, and don't know all the gizmoes and gadgets....
Thanks for the pic's and weather update. Hope the dog doesn't have to wade too deep. I know it doesn't seem to bother them too much, but it makes me shiver when I seem their boys draggin' in the snow!

Got 12 inches of snow, now the wind is blowing. I might still be able to cut wood, if I spend some time packing the trails down over the next few days. If it gets real cold, the snow gets hard and then I don't get stuck as much.

The little windshield thing? Oh, I bet you mean the Ziploc bag that I have my little police scanner zipped up in so it doesn't get wet from the snow. It's in the cup holder next to my black cherry soda.
IMG_4821crop.jpg

maplewood said:
Well - I grabbed this thread quick, too, when I read the title. You got me, Quads. :)
What's that little windshield to the right of your handlebars? I'm not a 4-wheeler, and don't know all the gizmoes and gadgets....
Thanks for the pic's and weather update. Hope the dog doesn't have to wade too deep. I know it doesn't seem to bother them too much, but it makes me shiver when I seem their boys draggin' in the snow!

Probably take you a good part of the Winter to sort thru all the pics you've got of your wood lot. :)

I don't mind being out doing something in the snow either, as long it isn't snowshoe snow.

billb3 said:
Probably take you a good part of the Winter to sort thru all the pics you've got of your wood lot. :)

I don't mind being out doing something in the snow either, as long it isn't snowshoe snow.
Yep, I do love to take pictures. About as much as I love making firewood. Taking pictures of making firewood is the best!

Got me too.
Was expecting something nasty & didn't want to look. But curiosity.
Got "hot grips" on the Quad? Might even need a cooler to keep that soda from freezing.
Nice thing now is "no bugs".
I like the pictures.
Good cutt'n. (even the pros don't cut in high winds)

No hot grips. I have really good gloves. I get then at Farm and Fleet by the bag full. Sometimes the soda freezes, but I'm usually back and forth (up to a mile one way) between the house often enough that I can warm it (and me) by the stove.

NO MOSQUITOES! I hate those things. Also, no leaves on the hazelnut and raspberry brush. I can find the potential firewood trees and limbs that are scattered about on the ground. When the underbrush has leaves, can't see the ground. But now that we have a foot+ of snow it's hard to see anything laying close to the ground anyway.

I don't normally cut in high wind. Not because felling the trees is dangerous, which it is of course, but I rarely fell any trees since enough tip over by themselves to keep me busy. The treetops swaying over my head make me nervous. I go home when the wind gets too strong.

More plowing and roof shoveling to do today (and having ISP troubles), but I hope to see soon how hard it will be to break trail out to the woods. 0°F right now.
bogydave said:
Got me too.
Was expecting something nasty & didn't want to look. But curiosity.
Got "hot grips" on the Quad? Might even need a cooler to keep that soda from freezing.
Nice thing now is "no bugs".
I like the pictures.
Good cutt'n. (even the pros don't cut in high winds)

A little different machine, a little wider paths and you should be able to extend your cutting until YOUR done. :lol:

Attachments

• jeep_sm.jpg
    jeep_sm.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 394
Jags said:
A little different machine, a little wider paths and you should be able to extend your cutting until YOUR done. :lol:
Ha ha! That's cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.