This is the best stuff for cleaning a blackened glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KYrob

Jan 8, 2010
KY
Crown Spray Power. I take the door off and lay it flat. Spray it on and wait 2 or 3 minutes and you can wipe the black off with a paper towel. It rolls right up. Beats the heck out of scrubbing and scraping. Haven't tried it while the stove is hot but I bet it will work just as good. You can get it at Walmart,dollar stores, just about anywhere.

Rob

If I thought I had to take the door off every time I wanted to clean the window, I'd do it once every July. Rick

If I had to take the door off of my 550 to clean the glass - it would never, ever get clean.

I use a trick I learned here.

A damp rag and cold ash from the stove. Does the job every time with little scrubbing required. Don't have to pay a cent for it. I also use the cold ashes on my garden and lawn to give them extra nutrients...

Good stuff ash is. ;-)

My glass doesn't get black. I wipe the haze off with window cleaner once a month or so. Buck a bottle at the dollar store and I still have two thirds of the one from 2006 left over.

Yeah, I don't get black glass either. I burn hotter than I should though. I have a tough time getting more than 5 hrs. for a load. I do get haze when I choke it all the way. I use to get dark glass when I had some lesser quality wood and when I burn some evergreen.

I am away from home and my wife said the glass was blackened, I said just wait till next time you fire it up , a hot fire will cleam the glass , it did.

I tried the wet rag and ash deal and the crown is 10 times better imo. It takes me about 3 seconds to lift my door off so that's not a problem either. Anyway, figured I'd pass it along.

Rob

I dont do windows. Forwarding thread to Mrs Rockey right now. Thanks.

KYrob said:
I tried the wet rag and ash deal and the crown is 10 times better imo. It takes me about 3 seconds to lift my door off so that's not a problem either. Anyway, figured I'd pass it along.

Rob

Give it more air and get get rid of the black, this is only my second year burning and have never blacken the glass. What is on your glass is in your pipes.

zap

I take the door off mine to clean. Open the door about 1/2 way and lift up is all it take. Easier than trying to clean it on the vertical.

I use ash and a wet paper towel to get the job done. No way am I taking doors off to do windows. But whatever works best...

KYrob said:
Crown Spray Power. I take the door off and lay it flat. Spray it on and wait 2 or 3 minutes and you can wipe the black off with a paper towel. It rolls right up. Beats the heck out of scrubbing and scraping. Haven't tried it while the stove is hot but I bet it will work just as good. You can get it at Walmart,dollar stores, just about anywhere.

Rob

Thanks KRob, will try to remember if the glass gets bad enough the ash-n-paper towel method doesnt work. I'm not burning my premium stuff exclusively right now since its the shoulder season and also sometime not running it too hot so I get a mild case of haze or soot. But so far a damp paper towel with a bit of ash and one clean one to wipe off has been all I needed. Doesnt take much elbow grease either, so far it comes off pretty easy. I just hope it stays that way, I suspect getting colder temps out the problem would even lessen, I hope.

Even the best planned fire can leave some crap behind on the glass..........even when burning efficiently. Sometimes it just happens.

Normally, I can take a paper towel when the stove is cool, and wipe off the inside of the glass with no problem.......but when that just isn't enough, I found that the "Magic Eraser" that you can pick up at your local grocery store next time you go shopping, works just fine.

No water, no mess......

-Soupy1957

define : clean ?

Mine gets somewhat black ( but not opaque) and when a good fire gets going it starts flaking off and is pretty good to see the fire in the middle, not quite so good at the edges.
I've tried the wet newspaper or paper towel in ashes to clean it trick and it does look a little nicer but there's no way in ell I'm doing that every day.
Buy a painting of a fireplace and hang it on the wall.
I don't expect it to be clear like the windshield of my car.
And I'm not one of those people who drive around with a 6" cleaned hole to look through in the Winter, either.

I have the jotul 550, always leave the door on when i do clean. I usually use rutland stove glass cleaner, got it at home depot. A few bucks a bottle lasts all season. It says it leaves a silicone layer which makes it easier to clean the next time. Being an engineer i usually think a statement like that is BS, but never the less, the next time was easier.

In my case, removing the door wouldn't really offer any advantage over just opening the door. With my stove, it takes about a month to build up to the point of needing cleaning, (usually just at the bottom corners of the glass), and then it wipes away easily. I usually just use a little liquid dihydrogen monoxide. If it's really bad, I also use about a teaspoon of fine powdered calcium carbonate, potash, and some other trace minerals. I've never had to scrape or scrub.

hotter fires! Dry toilet paper (unused) is what works for me! After break-in fires, ceramic smooth top stove cleaner and OOOO steel wool works, but I've learned just to make hot fires.

Dry toilet paper (unused) is what works for me!

This my friends might be the whole key!

KC

I take doors of for one reason replace the gaskets. The little washers and pins on the hinges drive me nuts. I clean glass cold with tap-water and ash on a rag. doors open.Then More water on a cleaner rag to get the streaks off.

Doing your part for the economy. Thank-you.

1-When searching for solutions I first think, "How can I fix this for nothing?"

2-If I can't fix it free I consider, "How cheaply can I fix this?"

3-If I can't justify the cost I consider, "Do I really even need this thing?"

In your case, you should probably just toss the door. :lol:

Guess Im lucky.. glass doesnt get too bad and its never anything more than some water and papertowel can handle

After i learned my new stove the glass stays clean just from a hot fire.

im in my second month with my stove and my glass turned black after the last two fires. like not "oh its got some stuff on it" like black I cant see inside it.

Not sure what changed in the last two fires...pretty much the same method and wood. Using fatwood and the wood I bought from my nursery to get my started for the season.

i tried the ash and water method with a rag but i'll be here till easter scrubbing

Status
Not open for further replies.