This is why I can't afford to "sell" my wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CountryBoy19

Minister of Fire
Jul 29, 2010
Southern IN
I've often considered selling off a little wood here and there to help pay some bills. I actually enjoy cutting wood and I do have a a surplus.

But just this past weekend I passed a place out in a rural area that had wood stacked out front. A full "rick" that appeared to be 4X8 approximately 16" long splits advertised at $25/rick. If it's a full 4 X 8 rick and 16" splits that would be $75/cord. I can't even think about selling wood for that much...

And yes, I know that a "rick" isn't an actual measurement, but I'm just trying to keep true to what the wood was advertised at.

I don't sell firewood but if I did I wouldn't sell it for $75/cord either - however - you did say you saw the rick price in a rural area. Rural prices vs city prices can vary a lot. I see that around here.

You see it for that price there clearing land for fields. No delivery, this knocks out most recreational burners. Thats where you need to be. Fireplaces indoors or out and the whole bbq gang! They like small amounts of very good wood. Now a wood heating guy would buy that cheap stuff and say how its not seasoned and didnt stack out right.

The $35/fc guys have raised their prices in the past couple weeks to $45-50. People must have finally started buying as I have seen 30-35 all summer. My guess is the real money is in delivered ready to burn wood mid winter.

I'd buy it for $75 a cord! I pay $135 / cord tree length, and process it all myself!

I have a co-worker that lives in Southern Indiana near Salem (Washingon County). He buys his firewood delivered for just a little more than the price you listed. I'm a little over an hour north of him. Prices are a bit higher where I am. If I could pay the prices he does, I'd buy also. But, I have to admit that I do like cutting/splitting/stacking my own.... most of the time.

Cheers.

Geesh, I hear ya. I don't think I can get wood to a customer (even if no delivery) for that price. That's so cheap, that I'd be considering buying some.

Danno77 said:
Geesh, I hear ya. I don't think I can get wood to a customer (even if no delivery) for that price. That's so cheap, that I'd be considering buying some.

Hardwood that would make a buyer out of most of us. Resale in mid January! ;-)

Shari said:
I don't sell firewood but if I did I wouldn't sell it for $75/cord either - however - you did say you saw the rick price in a rural area. Rural prices vs city prices can vary a lot. I see that around here.
I live in a rural area too though. I'm a bit closer to town than this person was, but still some-what rural.

I doubt I could get more than $150/cord for my c/s/s wood that is well seasoned. It's just not worth it to me, my time is more valuable than that. I've even considered buying wood if it's going to be that cheap. But I can't bring myself to do it...

CountryBoy19 said:
Shari said:
I live in a rural area too though. I'm a bit closer to town than this person was, but still some-what rural.

I doubt I could get more than $150/cord for my c/s/s wood that is well seasoned. It's just not worth it to me, my time is more valuable than that. I've even considered buying wood if it's going to be that cheap. But I can't bring myself to do it...
If my wife found out that wood could be had for so cheaply and without the oil and dust on my clothes and the worn out gloves and the chainsaw collection that I'm getting, then I'd be in big trouble. I hope firewood prices keep up in my area, lol.

Danno77 said:
CountryBoy19 said:
Shari said:

If my wife found out that wood could be had for so cheaply and without the oil and dust on my clothes and the worn out gloves and the chainsaw collection that I'm getting, then I'd be in big trouble. I hope firewood prices keep up in my area, lol.
Just do me a favor and keep it secret from my wife please. :)

I would've loaded up at that price.

CountryBoy19 said:
I've often considered selling off a little wood here and there to help pay some bills. I actually enjoy cutting wood and I do have a a surplus.

But just this past weekend I passed a place out in a rural area that had wood stacked out front. A full "rick" that appeared to be 4X8 approximately 16" long splits advertised at $25/rick. If it's a full 4 X 8 rick and 16" splits that would be $75/cord. I can't even think about selling wood for that much...

And yes, I know that a "rick" isn't an actual measurement, but I'm just trying to keep true to what the wood was advertised at.

I buy a grapple load every year, about 8 chords for $900. I chop and sell 4 chords and sell for $900 to buy a new grapple the following year. It works well. I stay about 3 years ahead. But, I find that I need to do a better job sorting the soft and hard woods.

All this chatter but none have stated what that wood is! At that price it may be willow or popple or cottonwood or just some junk. It might even be some wood that has gone punky. So how can anyone make a decision on if the wood is worth more or less without knowing what it is? I've seen some $25 face cords that were not worth $10. I did see an ad a day or so ago that someone was delivering a face cord of wood for $45 but he did not state what the wood was nor when it was cut. I sold wood last year for $50 per face cord even though it is worth much more.

Backwoods Savage said:
All this chatter but none have stated what that wood is! At that price it may be willow or popple or cottonwood or just some junk. It might even be some wood that has gone punky. So how can anyone make a decision on if the wood is worth more or less without knowing what it is? I've seen some $25 face cords that were not worth $10. I did see an ad a day or so ago that someone was delivering a face cord of wood for $45 but he did not state what the wood was nor when it was cut. I sold wood last year for $50 per face cord even though it is worth much more.
True, but let's just assume that it's Locust, lol.

I don't sell fire wood. I have done a lot of things over the years to make money to take care of me and my family, but I just never could sell my fire wood, no matter how much I had.....Not sure why. I think because I always worried that one year I couldn't cut for some reason and I would get behind. I just had my next door neighbor ask if he could buy some. He just burns in a fireplace and to him, I have a ridiculous amount of wood. I told him that I was sorry but I didn't sell wood, but that I had a friend that sells good seasoned fire wood at a reasonable price, and gave him his number. I also told him to just come over and get some if he wanted a fire before my friend could deliver.

I am imagine that some day I will have to buy my wood, but I am not looking forward to that.

tfdchief said:
I imagine that some day I will have to buy my wood, but I am not looking forward to that.
With retirement from processing firewood a reality (if only short term) for you, I can't express that I fully know what you mean, but this is something I worry about all the time. I seriously hope that my son, son-in-law, or grandkids can help when the time comes. Not because of the cost of firewood, but because I can't imagine not doing it or at least be involved. Barring any unforeseen accidents or injuries, I'm hoping that is all a long way off.

Danno77 said:
tfdchief said:
I imagine that some day I will have to buy my wood, but I am not looking forward to that.
With retirement from processing firewood a reality (if only short term) for you, I can't express that I fully know what you mean, but this is something I worry about all the time. I seriously hope that my son, son-in-law, or grandkids can help when the time comes. Not because of the cost of firewood, but because I can't imagine not doing it or at least be involved. Barring any unforeseen accidents or injuries, I'm hoping that is all a long way off.
Yes Danno, I too hope that my sons will help me. They have said that they will and I hope so, because I enjoy it a lot. We cut together now so I am sure that will continue. My son told me yesterday that he had several oaks lined up, and told me I had to come help even if all I could do is supervise......that made me happy.

Steve, if your sons won't help you I'm betting a bunch of us guys from this forum would gladly come to your aid at the drop of a hat.

Backwoods Savage said:
Steve, if your sons won't help you I'm betting a bunch of us guys from this forum would gladly come to your aid at the drop of a hat.
:) :) :)
Dennis,
Thank you so much! I believe you would. I hope that I can do a little this winter. I am in good shape for now though, so if it has to wait until spring or summer, or even next fall that's OK. I have said it before, and this probably won't be the last time.......THIS AN INCREDIBLE PLACE AND A BUNCH OF INCREDIBLE GUYS AND GALS!

Status
Not open for further replies.