This is Willow, Right?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Toasty-Yote

Dec 13, 2022
New York
Recently dead tree, very easy to cut, very wet but surprisingly hard to split. The maul kinda sinks in the first few times. Love the purple streaks in the heartwood. Trees tend to sprawl all over the place and branches break off easily, hence all the deadfall I have been collecting. I have been assuming it is willow but I didn't know they had the purple heartwood, unless that is just a fungus?

Screen Shot 2023-04-12 at 13.37.29.png Screen Shot 2023-04-12 at 13.37.39.png Screen Shot 2023-04-12 at 13.37.48.png

Tulipwood and some poplars can have purple color in the heart wood.

box elder

Red streaks in heartwood is characteristic of boxelder. Boxelder is a maple so it will have opposite branching habit (willow is opposite).