This old wheelbarrow with a bad non standard wheel - using a pellet stove auger set collar to fix!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
]Hello
This really nice 25-30 year old deep green True Value Wheel Barrow is expensive to replace. The wheel is squeaky and stiff but it does have the standard 5/8" diameter axle! However the axle. Brackets have an axle housing shaft that are much shorter than the new ones and a non standard wheel to make up the difference!! So a new wheel and 2 Pelpro Auger Set collars will keep the wheel centered so it will not slide back and forth on the axlee!!!
The 2 back carriage bolts were turning with the nuts so the only way to remove them is to cut the nuts off with a metal blade on a sawzall. Four New Stainless Steel bolts, nuts, flat washers and lock washers are needed here too!
Has anyone seen this problem???

Do you know if these old True Temper wheel barrows are made stronger and last longer than the new ones?

See pics below.

Pic 1-2 cut the two back nuts off.
Pic 3 - Comparison of new wheel and old wheel shows gap on axle rod. Where the new wheel can slide back and forth. Also shows new srtainless steel auger bushing to keep Wheel from sliding
Pic 4-5 shows Wheel before and after new bolts for auger axle brackets.
See Stainless Steel Auger Set collar with strong Allen set screw. There is one collar on each side of the wheel to keep it centered.
Pic 6 - wheel barrow all fixed and ready to roll
Pic 7-8 -- new Pelpro, Glo Boy, and cheap Charlie Auger Set collar which is 5/8" ID !!!

Attachments

• IMG_9959.JPG
    IMG_9959.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_9960.JPG
    IMG_9960.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_9962.JPG
    IMG_9962.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_9961.JPG
    IMG_9961.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 331
  • IMG_9963.JPG
    IMG_9963.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_9965.JPG
    IMG_9965.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_9976.JPG
    IMG_9976.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_9978.JPG
    IMG_9978.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
So with the auger parts on there, does it feed pellets when you push it? Inquiring minds want to know...

Nice, work, BTW!

Reactions: vinny11950
I would have used a grinder to take the lugs off instead of a sawzaw.....you know..so I could maximize the chance of metal going in my eyes. :)

Character builder.

I got a speck of a rotating wheel stuck in the white part of my eye. The ophthalmologist dug it out with a 3" needle while sitting on top of me holding my eye open.
After that...I've been terrified of anything going in my eye and immune to almost every other type of doctor visit.

I got a speck of a rotating wheel stuck in the white part of my eye. The ophthalmologist dug it out with a 3" needle while sitting on top of me holding my eye open.
After that...I've been terrified of anything going in my eye and immune to almost every other type of doctor visit.

Yikes, sound like a horror movie scene.

Yeah, high speed tools scare the hell out of me. I still use them but very carefully, always away from my body as much a possible. I have seen guys use a grinder on one hand while holding the grinding object with the other, bare hand. Crazy.

Yikes, sound like a horror movie scene.

Yeah, high speed tools scare the hell out of me. I still use them but very carefully, always away from my body as much a possible. I have seen guys use a grinder on one hand while holding the grinding object with the other, bare hand. Crazy.
A grinder is a scary thing. I had an employee cut almost completely through his forearm down the the bone. He was a very big guy..so that was about 3-4" into flesh. I held it closed till the ambulance came.

A grinder is a scary thing. I had an employee cut almost completely through his forearm down the the bone. He was a very big guy..so that was about 3-4" into flesh. I held it closed till the ambulance came.

Exactly, very dangerous.

You are better than me in that regard as I would have fainted at the sight of blood.

I was thinking of using my pneumatic grinder with my Dewalt compressor to cut thru thebolts but my very experienced carpenter friend said to use a sawzall with a metal blade! He was 100% right, it was much faster!!!