This week's scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snigg

Apr 10, 2013
Pittsburgh
Not to many scrounge opportunities lately, so when I saw this craigslist ad I had to jump on it. I was told it's basswood.

Attachments

• photo-1.jpeg
    photo-1.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 187
Reactions: Soundchasm
At least it's not crap-pie wood.

I'm not sure what bass wood looks like, I hear its kinda like poplar, good for shoulder season......
But it looks like really good wood from here....

Free wood is good wood ... but as mentioned bass wood is best used in the shoulder seasons or as kindling.

Basswood is often used by carvers because it has fine grain and is easy to carve. My father used to do a lot of carving (won awards at world shows). A block of bass the size of some of those logs would go like $40 each. You might want to sell it as carving blocks and then use the money to buy better firewood.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family/2000671/basswood.aspx

Reactions: Sinngetreu
Burn it; just do not depend upon it for long burns.

Unless you can carve duck decoys, split it and get it seasoned.

Reactions: hoosierhick
And if you do, talk to me. I have over a hundred hand carved decoys. >>

Reactions: Free BTUs
Beautiful carving. One of my favorite woodpeckers.

Status
Not open for further replies.