This years stove chows

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dartfrogz

Nov 20, 2014
ct
Not sure about anyone else but it seems the chows this year are awsome!

I had a ton of spruce pointe pellets this season. The pellet stove store said they were one of the best. Well to me, they were horrible. Lots of heavy ash and barely threw any heat and that was in the fall. I will never get them again. They were part of a barter deal so i cant complain too much but lesson learned! Also tried some bags from maine (cant remember the name tho they had a flag on the bag) they sucked too, barely any heat.

These chows this year, are burning so hot i have to keep my stove way down. Not complaining at all lol (using a very old Englander 25pdvc/55-shp10)

ive noticed other years some chows are lighter in color, those dont seem to throw as much heat as when we get the dark ones. These current pellets are the nice dark ones.

Does anyone know whos making them this year? If i had the money and space id stock up on them!

Attachments

• 20170213_082833.jpg
    20170213_082833.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 248
Reactions: vinny11950
Just picked up three bags
Going to see what they do
Used them last year and I was very disappointed
But I will give it other try..

Haven't heard many people ever complain about spruce pointe (one of my favorite pellets in fact), but I have been burning stove chow at the store (Its what the boss bought) and have been very impressed. Nice, fluffy and very little ash. Had to see it for myself- but yep they are good this year...

Reactions: SwineFlue
Haven't heard many people ever complain about spruce pointe (one of my favorite pellets in fact), but I have been burning stove chow at the store (Its what the boss bought) and have been very impressed. Nice, fluffy and very little ash. Had to see it for myself- but yep they are good this year...
I don't have a ton of experience but the Spruce Pointe I've been burning have not been burning nearly as well as the Lignetics I started the year with. Buildup in the ash pot, dirty and need to clean the stove much more often than the Lignetics. Just bought some Fireside Ultras at HD to compare. They were cheaper so we will see.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

1st time i ever read very little ash and stove chows in the same sentence...and i burned them for a couple years but tired of the mega ash buildups.

Reactions: cecil_archer
Hi Tony, totally agree with you, but I have seen them burn nicely this year. I still use my spruce pointe and la cretes at home, but have been burning stove chow at work, it has performed good. This year at least...

Here is the ash pot running the Spruce Pointes. It clumps up in the bottom. When running the Lignetics the leftover was more fine and there was a lot less left over in there.

Attachments

• 9218B4C1-045A-4AE7-8F72-AB734875C917.jpeg
    9218B4C1-045A-4AE7-8F72-AB734875C917.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 305
  • A37472AB-A2D7-40DE-8B5A-D398346217A8.jpeg
    A37472AB-A2D7-40DE-8B5A-D398346217A8.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 310
  • 794FAC96-4AA8-4617-94B5-405ED05574E5.jpeg
    794FAC96-4AA8-4617-94B5-405ED05574E5.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 297
Hi Tony, totally agree with you, but I have seen them burn nicely this year. I still use my spruce pointe and la cretes at home, but have been burning stove chow at work, it has performed good. This year at least...
believe ya..
HD is mile away here so might drop in and get a couple bags to try out again..

Not sure about anyone else but it seems the chows this year are awsome!

I had a ton of spruce pointe pellets this season. The pellet stove store said they were one of the best. Well to me, they were horrible. Lots of heavy ash and barely threw any heat and that was in the fall. I will never get them again. They were part of a barter deal so i cant complain too much but lesson learned! Also tried some bags from maine (cant remember the name tho they had a flag on the bag) they sucked too, barely any heat.

These chows this year, are burning so hot i have to keep my stove way down. Not complaining at all lol (using a very old Englander 25pdvc/55-shp10)

ive noticed other years some chows are lighter in color, those dont seem to throw as much heat as when we get the dark ones. These current pellets are the nice dark ones.

Does anyone know whos making them this year? If i had the money and space id stock up on them!

Stove Chows are burning really hot this year, with big, beautiful flames for those people that like big flames, they are a treat. They are ashy, but my stove handles it fine. I'd rather have the heat.

I agree the chows are very good this year. My HD was out last weekend so I picked a few bags of Trac supply. No impressed at all.

don't think anyone ever said chows we're not Hot....
biggest complaint has always been mountain of ash...

I don't remember them being this hot. But I don't keep a strict journal on pellet brands like other, more dedicated members do.

There Brother pellet is Fireside Ultra's which are a softwood blend, they always burned hotter and less ash than Chow's

I think when all is said and done,
lot depends on the stove you are using, how often you maintain it, and of course the pellets you use..
seen many posts over the years where the same brand get both praised and trashed...
has to be more than just the pellets at times me thinks.