This year's wood totals

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We do! I try to stay 1 year ahead because of the my neighborhood and yard size. I get more ahead if I left at my uncles but he'd burn it up! So we cut, split and load on a trailer and off to my home. It sounds like a lot but we have tractors and a hydraulic splitter on the tractor so it goes quick.

Think we will have 4-5 cords wood 2 tons pellets and maybe 100 gallons oil. Need to clean chimney so have been running oil morning and evening to take chill off.

His house and pool building is 5600 sqft. When said and done he will have used, I wish I can make this bold, 25 cord!!!!!

That's amazing. Hardwoods? Softwoods? How many BTUs do you estimate? I'm heating more space than that, in inefficient 1773 style, on a small fraction of what he's burning.

Reactions: OldLumberKid
Really, anything he can get his hands on! He burns year round cause he heats his water too. The pool he said he likes it at 85, not refreshing at that temp. The house is never construction and the best part is, he heats the floors for radiant heat. And it's done properly too. Almost 2" thermal break for the basement concrete floor/pad. His boiler is one step down from the one you load pallets into.

Really, anything he can get his hands on! He burns year round cause he heats his water too. The pool he said he likes it at 85, not refreshing at that temp. The house is never construction and the best part is, he heats the floors for radiant heat. And it's done properly too. Almost 2" thermal break for the basement concrete floor/pad. His boiler is one step down from the one you load pallets into.

What does he charge for a filling?

i regret if I offend anyone, but feel compelled to say that I think one person burning 25 cords of wood a year to heat a home is disgusting.

I agree and these guys aren't spring chickens!

Since first part of December ive burned 3 cords and will probably when another half maybe 3/4 depending on the weather. I haven't turned on the electric baseboard heat at all and figure ive saved about $1200-1400 this winter in electric bills.

To date about 1.5 cord wood and maybe 450 therm gas including hot water heating.

Not sure it's done "properly," if it takes 25 cords to heat one modestly sized house and pool. Figuring an average 25 million BTU per cord, he's consuming 625 million BTUs. Again, I'm heating more space, uninsulated 1773 construction, and consume only 200 Million total BTU for an average year. A typical heated pool consumes only 6-8 million BTU per month it's open. I just can't figure how anyone in a house that small is consuming over 600 million BTU, unless he's literally heating the earth around him! I suspect the quoted 25 cords is "face cords", for perhaps 8 - 10 full cords.

The pool building, if I remember correctly, is not very big. Just bigger than the pool and it is heated hear round. His house a is a bit more than 4ksqft. 4ksqft around here is a pretty big house, i think....His hot water heater is also year round. I am not saying OWB are remotely efficient, I think they suck!

I think it is the burning year found that's killing him. I bet if he used electric for hot water and didn't heat the pool he could cut the cordage in half. I told him that but he just smiled!

Probably about 4 full cords.
Been burning 24/7 since the end of October.
Will be done with wood I have in the house already and in the garage, probably Sunday or Monday, and then I'm done for the season.
I'm not good at the shoulder season burning, I like to keep it going full tilt 24/7.

Right at 3 cord so far and 0 on the gas, still haven't hooked up that gas line to the furnace. I do use gas to heat water though if that counts.

The previous owners were using an obscene amount of oil (1700+ gallons per year), with six heating zones on the boiler all set to 70F around the clock, plus about 500 gallons of propane per year between heating the garage with a direct vent heater and running two gas fireplaces. I figured their yearly heating bill at more than $7000.

Turning off the two propane fireplaces (actually replaced one with my second Jotul woodstove), only running the garage heat when I'm working out there, and swapping old-skool thermostats for programmable stat's, I got down to 1400 gal. oil + 100 gal. propane in my first year in the house.

With one stove running since October, and a second one since January, I'm already down to 860 gal. oil + 100 gal. propane. With two stoves running the full year, next year I hope to be closer to 700 gal. oil + 100 gal. propane, although I'll be installing three new mini-split heat pump systems (we're expanding!) to heat new areas... so the electric will go up a bit.

You will never make money with a wood stove... just spend less!

Wow!!! How big is your house?!? That is absolutely amazing to me. I thought I was doing bad burning 1.5 cords and electric bills around $200 per month for our radiant heat. I can't wait to tell my wife we are doing great!!!

about 4 mixed cord 2 were good 2 were full of trash( 2 oak/ash, 2 poplar/sasafaras/silver maple) heat is heat and it all burned. I also used about 150 gallons of oil mostly for hot water. All said and done I made about $600 this year after I purchased all my new toys. 4x8 trailer, 3 used but good saws, bars and chains, x27, sledge and wedges, cant hook, hookeroon, log handles, stove, liner, insulation,used splitter, and some other odds and ends. 2700 sqft colonial in CT. I estimate 1 oil fill per year down from 6 last year. 275x5=1375 gal $5500 in oil savings.

I have burned about 2 1/2 cords of mixed hardwoods. I doubt I will make it to three cords. Usually I don't burn much after the end of March.

2.5 cords.
Less then last season at this point.
I'm thinking because I had a lot of black walnut.

I've got two cords of Black Walnut seasoning for next year. So you think the Black Walnut did pretty good compared to other woods? I will use 5.5 cords of locust and cherry this year. That's a little more than I estimated, but 0 oil use which saved me $4,000 this year burning 24/7. My stove is in basement so I know that hurt the wood consumption.

I have burned close to 3 cord + 15% of my propane tank which is 400 when full. Unfortunately I am very low on wood at this point, will be only burning evenings and night when its cold. The good news as a direct result of being on this forum I have been working hard this winter to get further ahead on my wood supply. I would say I have around 6 cords of logs in my proccesing area that need bucked and split. And my goal is to get 3 years out. Drives me a little crazy to be running out of wood and its still snowing!

I burns what I burns.

I've got two cords of Black Walnut seasoning for next year. So you think the Black Walnut did pretty good compared to other woods?

I've burned miles of black walnut, as that's what 90% of the hardwood trees on my property are. It's resinous, so it makes the cat combustor run very hot, often too hot on a full load of walnut. It has pretty good burn time, perhaps similar to ash, and makes lots of crackle and pop for your listening enjoyment. Careful when you open the stove doors, though, particularly if you have carpet.

About 3 cord in my ~1800sq ft home, plus about 150 gal. of oil. Water is heated by oil furnace for showers/laundry etc.. and I'll turn on the heat in the morning sometimes as I am getting the stove up to temp again. It was cold up heah in north central Ma/Monadnock region of NH region this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.