Thoughts on buying last years leftovers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lecomte38

Feeling the Heat
Jun 6, 2008
Central Mass
Pellets absorb moisture. Even with a good plastic bag cover the bottoms are open to moisture from below, especially pellets that have been sitting around in a muddy parking lot all winter. I bought Powerhouse in the early buy last year and found all four pallets has obvious moisture intrusion between all the bags. I think I will wait for fresh pellets in the fall, especially with the current lack of deals.

ive never had a problem with moisture. not a single bag, ever.

it really depends on how they were stored... in their orig covers or not

Almost all pellets have time spent outside, either at the pellet manufactuere, on the truck, or at the local dealer. Some are lucky enough to have a wharehouse and can bring them inside.

Another forum member, who also sells pellets, has some that are 8 years opld, stored inside, and work fine. As long as you keep em dry, they could last indefinatly.

Pellets absorb moisture. Even with a good plastic bag cover the bottoms are open to moisture from below, especially pellets that have been sitting around in a muddy parking lot all winter. I bought Powerhouse in the early buy last year and found all four pallets has obvious moisture intrusion between all the bags. I think I will wait for fresh pellets in the fall, especially with the current lack of deals.
I'm still burning last year's left overs. The date code is 3-2011. (Fireside Ultras) The pellets are still in great shape. I was very careful not to take skids that showed obvious water damage or damaged/punctures skids of pellets.

I burned some bags a couple months ago that I dug up on the bottom of a pile from 2009. They'd been outside in my pole barn since I bought them. No problems at all.

Ive burned old pellets fine no problem. Although I dont really understand why they do not absorb moisture and cause a problem. Heck my wood floor grows/shrinks 1/32 of inch between summer and winter.

Ive burned old pellets fine no problem. Although I dont really understand why they do not absorb moisture and cause a problem. Heck my wood floor grows/shrinks 1/32 of inch between summer and winter.

Sure they absort a small % of moisture in a VERy humid envirooment. Actuall water is the issue. I would think the pellet process, where the high heat and pressure fusses the pellets together using the natural resisn in the wood, is why they dont redily absorb moisture from the atmosphere.

I've NEVER had condensation inside a bag. And I store in my 100% humdty in july basement.

Status
Not open for further replies.