Thoughts On Purchasing Splitter From Rental Company?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Catching your breath is fine. :)

Running the engine for that procedure probably would have lost more new oil than you wanted too. Any time the lever was in neutral the machine would have been pouring out fresh oil rather than the oil in the cylinder. Big potential to make a mess too. I know what 5 gallons of hyd fluid looks like on a concrete floor ;em and that was hard enough (and $$ enough too)to get cleaned up.

If the fluid is not contaminated with metals or water I would just top it off and run it. Hydraulic fluid really does not break down like motor oil unless it get VERY hot (like melt the hoses hot) .

If the fluid is not contaminated with metals or water I would just top it off and run it. Hydraulic fluid really does not break down like motor oil unless it get VERY hot (like melt the hoses hot) .

That's good to know however this was truly only done to basically get baselined for all the maintenance things I would ever want to do to with the splitter throughout the future. The old oil looked lovely actually; not as clear as new, it was a dark deep honey color, but it didn't have dirt in it or signs of water. Still I'm happy to have the baseline but in the future I will wait a long long while until when I will flush and fill the hydraulic oil again and will probably just put a new oil filter on each year. Thanks again for all the advice folks, I haven't forgotten that I owe everyone out there a few pictures for posterity.

Sorry for such a delay but these are the pictures I promised you fine folks. Thanks again for all the advice regarding this splitter as well as many of the other splitters I saw and asked about prior to purchasing this one. You all are awesome!

Log Splitter.jpgLog Splitter 2.jpg

Here's a couple more close ups. Log Splitter 3.jpgLog Splitter 4.jpg

And finally shots for showing the condition of the teeth and the wedge. Log Splitter 5.jpgLog Splitter 6.jpg

Looks pretty nice IMO. I think you got a pretty good deal on it.See its got the optional log dislodger on it
Looks alot better than my I&O 22 ton I bought used

My gut tells me do not buy heavily used equip from a rental company. Use Craigslist and classifieds instead. This is a rebuttable presumption, maybe the particular unit is in awesome shape... But at $1,500, it's not like they're giving it away.

My gut tells me do not buy heavily used equip from a rental company. Use Craigslist and classifieds instead. This is a rebuttable presumption, maybe the particular unit is in awesome shape... But at $1,500, it's not like they're giving it away.

In general I would tend to agree with all that, but, this one was only very very lightly used and it was $1300 including some extra tune up things.

Many of the rental companies sell on craigslist.

Looks like a great buy.

bought my rv 800 from a local hardware store that used to rent equiptment. $700 8hp honda, 30'" stroke, vert/hor. best money i ever spent! congrats on your find!!

Status
Not open for further replies.