Through the wall flue pipe question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JJXB

Jul 18, 2021
New York State
Good morning guys. I'm replacing my woodstove; going from the VC Defiant 8" pipe to PE T5 6" pipe.

The horizontal through the wall flue pipe to the chimney is 7" in diameter, and 18" long. It is in two pieces, first a 6" long piece then a 12" long piece. They do not meet up flush; they are off by a hair or two. No cracks or gaps. My point being, I couldn't shove a 18" long 7" diameter pipe inside it, all the way through, due to this slight offset. Chimney is 7" as well.

What would be the preferred connection for my new 6" stove pipe?

1) Get a 6" to 7" adapter, install it at the wall, and push the 7" pipe into the flue as far as it can go?
or
2)Run the 6" stove pipe all the way through to the chimney, and insulate around it?

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who took a look. I picked up my stove yesterday and asked the dealer for his recommendation. He told me I could go either way; it didn't make a difference as long at the wall pipe is is great shape. I decided to go with the 6" pipe thru the the 7" pipe, and will put insulation around it. This way will make the stove pipe removal very easy in the spring time.

Thanks to everyone who took a look. I picked up my stove yesterday and asked the dealer for his recommendation. He told me I could go either way; it didn't make a difference as long at the wall pipe is is great shape. I decided to go with the 6" pipe thru the the 7" pipe, and will put insulation around it. This way will make the stove pipe removal very easy in the spring time.
Sorry I missed this you want a 6 to 7 adapter

Hi bholler. Can you elaborate on your reply for me? Why would you do that vs what I outlined? Thank you
Because it is far more secure and air tight

Also make sure you have a slight pitch going back towards the stove, this helps incase there is liquid creosote, it will drain and hopefully burn in the stove rather then leak into the house.