Thunderstorm wood surplus!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChadMc

Burning Hunk
Dec 12, 2019
Bucks County PA
Im from Bucks County PA and thunderstorms and wind are common but usually not overly damaging. The other day we have a crazy storm with insane wind and our town got hit hard. It’s a mess, trees down everywhere. I hate to see people’s property damaged or life long yard trees come done. The amount of wood around is crazy. The problem with everyone knowing you heat with wood is your neighbors and friends call you right away haha. I had like 10 people call me in one day! As a wood burner this is a good problem to have but man these storms are scary!

Im from Bucks County PA and thunderstorms and wind are common but usually not overly damaging. The other day we have a crazy storm with insane wind and our town got hit hard. It’s a mess, trees down everywhere. I hate to see people’s property damaged or life long yard trees come done. The amount of wood around is crazy. The problem with everyone knowing you heat with wood is your neighbors and friends call you right away haha. I had like 10 people call me in one day! As a wood burner this is a good problem to have but man these storms are scary!
Yeah that was a doozy, I'm North of you in Lehigh County and same story here, reminds me of when Hurricane Sandy came through years ago, tons of wood laying around for years!

Reactions: D8Chumley
Yeah that was a doozy, I'm North of you in Lehigh County and same story here, reminds me of when Hurricane Sandy came through years ago, tons of wood laying around for years!
[/QUOTE
Yeah I’m taking my time with it. I’m in summer mode now. Filled the truck a few times yesterday and today in that humidity and it wasn’t fun.

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Hit me pretty hard, probably lost 2 dozen trees root balls and all. Had 6-7 to cut just to get into my driveway and it took out my electric again. PECO says maybe by Sunday we will be back up. Took out a 30” tulip was the biggest so far I had to cut

Wife took an action shot. 460 with 24” bar. Happy I bought the Granberg a month ago 2E3705C2-F3AD-40EF-B5B8-E34AF27D1F96.jpeg

It was across my driveway, had to. It was a big ol tree for sure, lots of sun coming through where she used to stand now

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Thankfully I live about 90 miles north from the destructive path of that storm, but I still ended up down in central NJ near the beach with helping restore electric the past few days.
Rough storm for sure, lots of trees down, seen a couple places that had a tub grinders setup and tree co's just dumping debris in a pile and grinding on site, but where I was not many wood burners, lots and lots of homes on postage stamp properties.

The other day we have a crazy storm with insane wind and our town got hit hard.
Have family in SE PA. They said meteorologists are classifying it as a derecho.
https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/wea...echo-widespread-damage-people-killed/2417062/
From Wikipedia:
A derecho is a widespread, long-lived, straight-line wind storm that is associated with a fast-moving group of severe thunderstorms known as a mesoscale convective system. Derechos can cause hurricane-force winds, tornadoes, heavy rains, and flash floods.
I've seen a few, a couple big, bad ones. They make me cringe. Fierce horizontal hurricane force winds.
Watched some of the video footage.
Makes one empathetic to folk in paths of hurricanes with these winds sustained.

We only got power back on Sunday night! I must be the only person around here who didn't get a large "free" supply of firewood. A 12" oak limb blocked my driveway but that was about it, I'm already so far ahead that I've got nowhere left to store firewood anyway. The extent of that storm was incredible, huge trees uprooted or snapped in half over a 40 or 50 mile swath. I spent several grand on tree work near my house last year, I don't regret once cent of that now.

TE

We had a derecho hit our region several years back and I remember sitting on my back porch watching things. You could hear trees snapping and breaking off all over the place. It happened during the heat of summer and there were many people in Virginia, West Virginia & Maryland out of power for weeks with no A/C and temperatures nearing 100.

I didn't burn wood at that time, but I know there was plenty of it everywhere. I scrap and scrounge to find free wood now, but after that storm, I could have stayed busy for months cutting free wood.

FYI, one of the first investments I made last summer when we moved out to the country was a generator-one big enough to actually run our A/C and wired to our breaker panel. Hope I never have to use it, but am ready if I do. If it's cold, it will also power the pump, controls and fan on our outdoor furnace and the blower in the heat pump.

When Sandy hit and we lost all aerial, I walked out to the road and as far as I could see(3/4 mile) every pole was down. Couldn't get out for days, no power for weeks and no phone/internet for over a month. Had generator so we were OK except for gas. Cooked a lot on top of the Harmon. Anyway when things got somewhat normal and I started running service calls again, on a trip up to Bernardsville it looked like a daisy cutter went off. Never thought I'd see that after close to 50 years.

We only got power back on Sunday night! I must be the only person around here who didn't get a large "free" supply of firewood. A 12" oak limb blocked my driveway but that was about it, I'm already so far ahead that I've got nowhere left to store firewood anyway. The extent of that storm was incredible, huge trees uprooted or snapped in half over a 40 or 50 mile swath. I spent several grand on tree work near my house last year, I don't regret once cent of that now.

TE
I’m in that same boat! I have to much wood from having time off work from Covid and now this. I pitched in the just help people. I dropped a few truckloads of rounds to some friends houses. I haven’t even walked the woods yet! At first glance there’s giant blow downs just within 200 yards from our deck!