Tick bites and Lyme disease

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Make tick tubes get 1 1ft piece of 3/4 pvc and soak cotton balls on pymethrin. When it dries stuff into tubes and leave by wood piles etc... when the mice make homes, it kills all the ticks. Mice are the biggest carriers.

Make tick tubes get 1 1ft piece of 3/4 pvc and soak cotton balls on pymethrin. When it dries stuff into tubes and leave by wood piles etc... when the mice make homes, it kills all the ticks. Mice are the biggest carriers.

That's a good idea if no cats are around.

Pymethrin is a neutorotoxin that is very dangerous for cats. Cats die every year because their owners apply pymethrin tick control products (which are sold for use on dogs) on them. I would think that a nest full of pymethrin soaked baby mice would probably not be good for a cat. ;)

I believe the ticks make the leap from mice to deer as they reach adulthood. This makes them much harder to battle, as even broadcast applications of pesticides (eg. Mallet) can be subjugated by traveling deer.

I completely forgot about the cat thing as I dont have one but yes, NEVER get that around cats.

There was a study done in the NE about the tick tubes and it has great results. There is also a deer feeder that swipes their neck with a insecticide that combined dropped the tick population by 90%.

Reactions: Ashful
Can you elaborate on this? I want to try it . Size of the tubes, amount of Permetrin to soak the cotton balls etc

I get those pre-cut 12" 3/4 PVC and buy 25% Permethrin online. Mix according to direction and put in a spray bottle. Soak a bunch of cotton balls with the liquid and let them dry. Then just stuff the cotton in the PVC and put it by your wood pile or any other place where mice may be. You'll see the mice take the cotton to make nests.

Unfortunately, my doc wouldn't test me. She, and later he said I do not have any symptoms. However, I have had many red reactions similar to those on google, although I never had a target bulls-eye. I had one similar to the posters and it seems I would take a pen and circle the infected area and it always seems to retreat. I guess we need to run to the doctor, with the tick, every time a tick bites me/us-no way. Sometimes we walk through a nest and find upwards of a hundred, then we might end up with three or four attaching themselves. I read it takes 24 hours to communicate the disease if the tick has lymes. Generally I feel the tick bite similar to pulling on one hair- but it feels like it is going into the skin. I got into the habit of using a dish scrunge every night in the shower- sometimes the there is a reaction, that I know is tick related, but I never saw it. I have a reaction similar to a mosquito bite that itches and lasts for months. This is the second year that I have been using a lot of curry spice in my food. The first year I noticed low/no tick attachments on me. This year is sort of a confirmation experiment to see if the curry/tick association is a coincidence or it actually might repel ticks- I love the curry spice.

Unfortunately, my doc wouldn't test me. She, and later he said I do not have any symptoms. However, I have had many red reactions similar to those on google, although I never had a target bulls-eye. I had one similar to the posters and it seems I would take a pen and circle the infected area and it always seems to retreat. I guess we need to run to the doctor, with the tick, every time a tick bites me/us-no way. Sometimes we walk through a nest and find upwards of a hundred, then we might end up with three or four attaching themselves. I read it takes 24 hours to communicate the disease if the tick has lymes. Generally I feel the tick bite similar to pulling on one hair- but it feels like it is going into the skin. I got into the habit of using a dish scrunge every night in the shower- sometimes the there is a reaction, that I know is tick related, but I never saw it. I have a reaction similar to a mosquito bite that itches and lasts for months. This is the second year that I have been using a lot of curry spice in my food. The first year I noticed low/no tick attachments on me. This year is sort of a confirmation experiment to see if the curry/tick association is a coincidence or it actually might repel ticks- I love the curry spice.

Eating lots of chipotle peppers does not work!

I got my first tick yesterday in the northeast.

One of my coworkers found one on him yesterday. It has begun.

If you don't have cats, you can spray your pants in 25% Permethrin and wear them after they dry. I think it even lasts after a few washings. A lot of hunters do that.

You don't have to get the bullseye to get Lyme. Thankfully my doctor is thorough and will always test. It's very prevalent here. I still know people that get it and the doc doesn't test until it's a few months In, really no need for that as its a simple test.

Remember, the common test is not looking for the bacteria itself (which is too weak to register using common testing methods), but your immune system's reaction to the bacteria. Unfortunately, not all of our immune systems react appropriately, leading to some false negatives. A coworker had it bad enough (and long enough) to have pretty substantial symptoms, and still managed to test negative, more than once. Convinced he must have it, his doc put him on the prescribed antibiotics anyway, and it indeed cleared up all of his symptoms.

Reactions: weatherguy
Just saw a scary article on CNN that tick-borne diseases are expected to rise, including some nasty condition caused by the Powassan virus (which I had never heard of before). And of course, regular old Lyme disease is still going strong. Those of you in and around Connecticut should be extra wary, because the article notes that tick reports there are way up this year and up to half of the ticks tested carried Lyme! :eek:

Reactions: Ashful
I can attest to that, i live on the MA/CT border and its really bad this year, ive already have had 4.

I have an employee out with it now. Second time for him in about 8 years.

Got my first one ever yesterday...in about the worst spot any of you..guys...can imagine.

Needless to say I went to urgent care so they could get me a dosage of antibiotics. Other than that it appears nothing even happened. No bite mark, no swelling. I assume that means the tick wasn't on me very long. It sucks because I was just out in my back yard, not in the woods or anything.

I've been using permethrin on my boots and I've only had four to date. I am thinking of using the permethrin on some select outdoor clothing.

So Can you have lymes with no symptoms?

Needless to say I went to urgent care so they could get me a dosage of antibiotics.

Needless to say? One should be mindful of Lyme disease, but it was irresponsible of them to prescribe a course of antibiotics because you found a tick on yourself. The more you take antibiotics for nothing, the less chance you have of them being effective when you do need them.

I get ticks every day... it's not a medical emergency. Pick 'em off that night. It takes 36-48 hours for Lyme transmission. If you have too many to pick off (ever fall into a nest of baby ticks?), a bath with lye soap and a scrub brush gets them off.

I wouldn't go back to that place... they should have spoken up instead of just agreeing to something they could bill you for.
https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/resources/brochure/lymediseasebrochure.pdf

Needless to say? One should be mindful of Lyme disease, but it was irresponsible of them to prescribe a course of antibiotics because you found a tick on yourself. The more you take antibiotics for nothing, the less chance you have of them being effective when you do need them. I get ticks every day... it's not a medical emergency. Pick 'em off that night. It takes 36-48 hours for Lyme transmission. If you have too many to pick off (ever fall into a nest of baby ticks?), a bath with lye soap and a scrub brush gets them off.

I wouldn't go back to that place... they should have spoken up instead of just agreeing to something they could bill you for.
I've heard 48 hours, but I can actually say I've never read that. And usually within a couple hours, overnight max, I know I've got some kind of parasite on me by feeling a crawling, a slight stinging sensation, or some lump/appendage that wasn't there before on my body.
According to Dr. Google "Ticks need to be attached for at least 24 hoursbefore they can transmit Lyme disease. However, just to be safe you should check your health closely for one month after a tick bite and call your doctor if you have any of the early signs of Lyme disease." There I just read it.

According to Dr. Mayo you're less likely to have lymes transmitted if the tick is on you less than 36 to 48 hours.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/lyme-disease/basics/symptoms/con-20019701

"Symptoms
By Mayo Clinic Staff
The signs and symptoms of Lyme disease vary and usually appear in stages.

Early signs and symptoms
A small, red bump often appears at the site of a tick bite or tick removal and resolves over a few days. This is normal after a tick bite and does not indicate Lyme disease.
However, these signs and symptoms may occur within a month after you've been infected:

• Rash. From 3 to 30 days after an infected tick bite, an expanding red area might appear that sometimes clears in the center, forming a bull’s-eye pattern. The rash (erythema migrans) expands slowly over days and can spread to 12 inches (30 centimeters) across. It is typically not itchy or painful.

Erythema migrans is one of the hallmarks of Lyme disease. Some people develop this rash at more than one place on their bodies.

• Flu-like symptoms. Fever, chills, fatigue, body aches and a headache may accompany the rash.
Later signs and symptoms
If untreated, new signs and symptoms of Lyme infection might appear in the following weeks to months. These include:

• Erythema migrans appearing in other areas of your body.
  • Joint pain. Bouts of severe joint pain and swelling are especially likely to affect your knees, but the pain can shift from one joint to another.
  • Neurological problems. Weeks, months or even years after infection, you might develop inflammation of the membranes surrounding your brain (meningitis), temporary paralysis of one side of your face (Bell's palsy), numbness or weakness in your limbs, and impaired muscle movement.
Signs and symptoms caused by the bacterium Borrelia mayonii may also include:

• Nausea and vomiting
  • Diffuse rashes (rather than a single bull's-eye rash commonly associated with Lyme disease)
Less common signs and symptoms
Several weeks after infection, some people develop:

• Heart problems, such as an irregular heartbeat. Heart problems rarely last more than a few days or weeks.
  • Eye inflammation.
  • Liver inflammation (hepatitis).
  • Severe fatigue.
When to see a doctor
If you've been bitten by a tick and have symptoms
Only a minority of blacklegged tick bites leads to Lyme disease. The longer the tick remains attached to your skin, the greater your risk of getting the disease. Lyme infection is unlikely if the tick is attached for less than 36 to 48 hours.

If you think you've been bitten and have signs and symptoms of Lyme disease — particularly if you live in an area where Lyme disease is prevalent — contact your doctor. Treatment for Lyme disease is more effective if begun early.

See your doctor even if symptoms disappear
It's important to consult your doctor even if signs and symptoms disappear — the absence of symptoms doesn't mean the disease is gone. Left untreated, Lyme disease can spread to other parts of your body from several months to years after infection, causing arthritis and nervous system problems. Ticks also can transmit other illnesses, such as babesiosis and Colorado tick fever."

80% of ticks in our county carry Lyme, so they say. That figure combined with it being a deer tick combined with it being buried in my prick for well over 12 hrs i figured were all reasons I chose to get the one dose antibiotic for it that ran me a whopping $2.50.

Anywhere else, I would've pulled it out and carried on business as usual.

Reactions: VirginiaIron