Interesting. Never even heard of Allectus.Those of you getting ticks in your yard may want to check out Allectus. My neighbors, all of whom spend far less time outdoors than me, tell me they find them weekly. I've been here 6 years, and not a single tick. I also don't put anything on my dogs, and they haven't had a tick in 6 years, either. I put down a fertilizer product containing Allectus once each year in early June, and that seems to be doing the trick.
I don't blame You, those little buggers will attach anywhere. You name a part of the body and I've had to pull a tick off said part. Yes, even my arse, had an itch on my arse for 3 days, I normally don't like to look at my naked arse in the mirror so it took 3 days before I noticed the little bastage. Doc usually just gives me 2 doxy tabs in that situation and to be cognizant of any symptoms.80% of ticks in our county carry Lyme, so they say. That figure combined with it being a deer tick combined with it being buried in my prick for well over 12 hrs i figured were all reasons I chose to get the one dose antibiotic for it that ran me a whopping $2.50.
Anywhere else, I would've pulled it out and carried on business as usual.
There's nobody to complain. The yard is bordered on two sides by wooded parkland, on one side by the neighbor's woods, and the front is the house (which has woods and driveway out to the road in front of it).Careful the county doesn't slap an "abandoned" notice on your front door, jetsam. [emoji14]
It's also deadly to cats, so don't use it if you have cats about. It is safe enough for dogs that it's a common flea and tick control product there.One of the approaches to tick control is to put out tick traps which are tubes full of cotton balls soaked with permethrin. Mice apparently like to use cotton for nesting and will haul it quite a distance. The mice (and other small rodents) will nest in it killing the ticks. They are the intermediate host for ticks so effectively the ticks are stopped from reproducing. Probably worth trying before nuking the lawn with permethrin which kills other beneficial insects like spiders.
Concentrated liquid permethrin when applied is deadly to cats. Most of the flea and tick baths are a far higher concentrations than that used for clothes treatment. The diluted product used for treating clothing is not as the active ingredient binds to the fabric (which is why it lasts through multiple washings). Cats get poisoned by directly grooming the product off their fur or grooming other animals like dogs in the household. Cats don't groom clothing or cotton balls in plastic tubes in the lawn set for tick traps.It's also deadly to cats, so don't use it if you have cats about. It is safe enough for dogs that it's a common flea and tick control product there.
It's pretty great at getting rid of mosquitoes and ticks though.