Ticks this fall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shortys7777

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2017
Smithfield, RI
I can't keep them off me. I was out for 15 minutes with my son earlier. Had another little guy on me. Anyone else seeing more than usual? I used to never have ticks on me. 5 in the past month. I'm going to get the clothing spray and try that.

Reactions: SpaceBus
We had a surplus here too until the cold snap we had killed them off. Spread some of those granules they have at Lowes for bugs and they'll dry up in a day or two. Works every time.

Reactions: SpaceBus
We had them for a while, but it does seem like the cold snap got rid of them. They never seem to like me, but my wife found several across a few weeks.

I can't keep them off me. I was out for 15 minutes with my son earlier. Had another little guy on me. Anyone else seeing more than usual? I used to never have ticks on me. 5 in the past month. I'm going to get the clothing spray and try that.
We have Sawyer Permethrin that we spray our clothes with but I only did that once in the spring, I've never had a tick on me when using it. I used to wear cutting boots that my pants would get tucked into before I laced them up but since my feet can't take that style boot anymore, I cut an older pair of socks off about ankle high and pull those up over my pants and down over the boot and spray with off,

I'm pretty sure ticks only crawl up so this should stop them from getting on the inside of your pants.

I've been out cleaning up the property around the house and I'm not even using off except for on the old sock thing I use, I haven't had any on me. I also take a shower when I come in just incase a tick was on me. I'm sure we have them so maybe it's just the area I'm working.

1606690295021.png

I'm not sure how safe the above is so proceed at your own risk.

Reactions: D8Chumley
We buy permethrin concentrate from amazon and make our own clothing soak. Mix a gallon up and soak your outdoor clothes then let them dry. We also use Ranger ready for exposed areas. Ranger Ready is picaridin and not greasy like deet and does not melt stuff.

We make our own spray from concentrated permethryn.
Normally you can't walk 10 feet in the bush without having 20 of the buggers crawling up your legs.

This year has been quite mild for ticks though. Have only knocked one off my pants all season and the deer I shot earlier didn't have any on him. Normally there would be a couple pounds of ticks on them. The buck I shot last year had one on his...unit...

• Haha
We live in the woods, normally full of ticks, we usually have 3-4 whitetail deer walking through our front yard. But we have a flock of 18 chickens that free range all over our property. It is rare that any of us finds a tick on us. I can't say for sure it is the chickens, but I can't figure out what else it might be as we do not do anything to control the ticks.

We see one occasionally here, but there are more when you get up by the cabin in the middle of WI. The severity varies from year to year. Not bad this year. Recall other years where you could see them crawling on the gravel driveway.

chickens, but I can't figure out what else it might be as we do not do anything to control the ticks.
It used to be that apple orchards would have hogs and chickens in the area to root around for apple bugs and such. The old chicken house here backed right up to a large tree orchard, so maybe there's something to that.

It might be also a regional thing. Here we seldom see ticks. Lots of deer running around and other things. They used to climb the beehives and wait with literally open arms for me to grab a lid. But other than that, minimal. I visited Rinelander, and had to pick dozens and dozens off after walking along a powerline, and others as well, dozens. That was a nasty area to go outside, at least in tall grassy areas.

Its solid woods around my property for miles but I have never had a tick problem in the fall. My daughter killed a doe in youth season a few weeks ago and I did notice one crawling around as I skinned it. It the summer on the other hand.....if you even look at the timber you will start itchin. I got chickens so I never have had a problem with them in the yard but i have heard of folks spreading diatomaceous earth with good results.

Was not a big year for ticks here in southern Indiana. Population usually drops a lot by July 1, and very few after late August. I didn't see any this year in August.

Had the Wife just pull one off my Butt cheek....first one in a long time

• Haha
Reactions: Grizzerbear
Having 6 dogs and living in the woods we get our fair share. Why can’t they make tick repellant for people like I give the dogs? We give them Bravecto every 3 months, seems to work for them

I can vouch for the Seresto collars. We use them for both our cats and our dog. Ever since we started using those collars, we have never seen a tick or flea on our pets.