Tight space wood stove install for supplemental heat (seeking input)

junkyard_sal Posted By junkyard_sal, Aug 7, 2019 at 4:52 PM

1. junkyard_sal

junkyard_sal
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2010
    Loc:
    Baltimore, MD
    4758037-13.jpg Hello,

I am looking for a woodstove for a VT home. 1650 sq feet lofted. I have a propane furnace so this is supplemental and ambiance.

I have a narrow hearth area that is roughly 45x45 but the stove can be installed parallel with a front feeding stove open to the room. I was all set to get a Jotul 118 CB (best price $1850) when I saw the VT point of sale program for $750 if I install a stove with emissions less than 2.0 grams per hour, and an "Actual Efficiency" rating from the EPA of 70% or greater. That makes the Woodstock Soapstone Survival stove real competitor at only $700 and no sales tax in NH.

I was planning to locate the stove in the corner by the dining table in this photo. My wife does not want to demo the piece of furniture in the center of the room. I am open to the forums input.

2. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Should be ok, except that Woodstock stoves have no blower. Heat is going to stratify up high which can lead to a very hot loft space. Is there a ceiling fan in this room? That would help.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. junkyard_sal

junkyard_sal
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2010
    Loc:
    Baltimore, MD
    Yes there is a ceiling fan in the room. I was thinking about that issue as the previous owners must have also.

4. junkyard_sal

junkyard_sal
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2010
    Loc:
    Baltimore, MD
    I just read more fine print on Woodstock Soapstone. If I pick up the stove I get another $200 off so that makes this amazing stove $500! I don't know how I can pass that up.

5. moresnow

moresnow
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 13, 2015
    Loc:
    Iowa
    Take a close look at the clearance to combustibles on any stove you are considering. It may weigh heavily on your decision if you have limited space available. Food for thought.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    begreen likes this.
  6. byQ

byQ
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

May 12, 2013
    Loc:
    Idaho
  7. junkyard_sal

junkyard_sal
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2010
    Loc:
    Baltimore, MD
    The clearance to combustibles is a key driver for me. The hearth pad on the Woodstock Survival is only 30x48 and the Jotul is similar. I have a roughly 45 x 45 area but mounted parallel a front loader will be open to the room.

8. junkyard_sal

junkyard_sal
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 12, 2010
    Loc:
    Baltimore, MD
    I have always liked the way Jens Risom installed the stove in his Block Island home. I would imagine with Woodstock's metal fabrication, I could have that made and pick it all up as a kit including some sort of wood storage.

Attached Files:

9. Nick Mystic

Nick Mystic
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 12, 2013
    Loc:
    Western North Carolina
    From your photo it appears that once you account for the rear corner and back of stove clearance you are going to be pushing out into the room enough that you will have to slide your dining room table back some distance from where it is currently sitting. Any hearth pad will have to extend another 16" - 18" in front of the stove (front loader with corner positioning). Unless you recess it down into the floor it will always be a tripping hazard when walking in front of the stove in close quarters.