Timber Ridge 55 TRP10 for pole barn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Thumbster

Sep 6, 2018
Indiana
I’ve been lurking on this site for a while and decided to finally post something LOL. I think I am Okay with my pellet stove pick but just wanted to confirm before pulling the trigger.

I’ve talked with Andy at amfm and I’m planning to get a reconditioned Timber Ridge. Heats 1500 sq ft but read on here that that is a somewhat conservative rating. The price looks pretty good, not much more than used ones are going for around here. Price is a big factor. Didn’t want anything fancy as I’ll probably only be in the barn a couple days a week.

Anyway the section of barn that I’m heating is 40x32 (1280 sq ft) with 12 ft ceiling and metal walls. I’m in Indiana. I’m framing the exterior walls right now and will use 6” batt insulation on them, the ceiling will probably get at least 8” batts.

I’ve never had a pellet stove before but kinda looking forward to it. Had a fireplace and wood stove when I was a kid and enjoyed cutting wood with Dad and grandpa but time moves on.

Soooo without making this a novel....anyone see any problems with using this stove in my pole barn? Will I need to do the “mods” since it is presumably a newer although refurbished stove?

Thanks

I heat my 30x60 well insulated pole barn with an nc30 wood stove from the same company. My insulation is much better than what you propose and my climate a bit warmer. What you will find is that it takes a lot of heat and time to raise the interior to a comfortable temperature if you let the shop go cold between visits. The wood heaters don’t have enough output to raise the temperature quickly. So the shop might be up to temp just about the time you’re ready to go back to the house.

Now if you are willing to let it run when you’re not in the shop then a pellet stove can be run on a programmable thermostat or even turn it on remotely with your phone before your planned time in the shop.

Another option is a hanging unit heater for warm up and the pellet stove to just maintain temperature. Those cheap hanging heaters are commonly 100-150 thousand btu.

you can always let the stove run on low so the space does not get right cold. Takes a lot of energy to heat a cold space back up to temp when it drops to your outside temps. We have a big shop well insulated and run a electric heater on low (glad i dont pay the hydro) and only takes less than a hour to bring it up to temp where its comfortable to work when we turn the heat up

Thanks for the replies.

I figured that it would take a while to warm up when it’s really cold. I’ve got a little torpedo heater to help on those days that I’m not going to be out there very long.

I have also thought about keeping it on low but I don’t know if it would be worth it as I am going to be out there infrequently most of the time.

On the days that I know I’ll be there for a while I’ll be able to start it up early and maybe leave it on low for a night or two until I get the job done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Highbeam
AE6B4132-D6DD-4E36-A05A-6975ABAE7F97.jpeg
I got my refurbished stove from Andy at amfm energy delivered Friday. It appears to be in really good shape. I can tell it’s been used but it’s been cleaned, repainted and they even put the warning stickers on it like it was new....which I promptly took off so they didn’t stick to the top when I fire it up.

The model# plate says it’s a 25-PDVC/55-SHP10. It was made September 2017 which surprised me a little. I thought it would be at least 5 years old since it’s a refurbished stove.

I did the “dry run” like it said in the manual and it seems to be working like it should.

I have a question on the auger bearings though. In the manual it says that they are sealed bearings and don’t require grease. The grease fittings are still there though.