Time for an upgrade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Vehicles aren’t a good comparison for me….my newest vehicle is a 1998 Silverado 😂. I like the classics 🤷🏼‍♂️
😂
Lol. I understand. The nice.thing with stoves is that better ones are available jacketed in old appearance, as ashful mentioned.

Reactions: Tpaull
Yes, a 1990's car will be better than the 1960's one had before, and thus you may like it. But why not get a 2010-2020's car?
See the recommendations by begreen.
Better is a subjective term, especially when stoves and cars are involved (intensely personal possessions).
An item's modernity doesn't necessarily make it better and there are numerous other criteria involved in one's appreciation of items and subsequent preference (control, restriction, aesthetics, footprint, emotional attachment, usefulness, etc.).

Reactions: VintageGal
Better is a subjective term, especially when stoves and cars are involved (intensely personal possessions).
An item's modernity doesn't necessarily make it better and there are numerous other criteria involved in one's appreciation of items and subsequent preference (control, restriction, aesthetics, footprint, emotional attachment, usefulness, etc.).
Sure. My only point was that technology, control, efficiency are better now. And I left aesthetics (preference) alone.

More heat from each pound of wood put in the stove. Less dirt in the chimney more control over the stove. In the case of your stove most stoves on the market will be far more reliable and easier to use. Emotional attachment is understandable. But new stove are just better

It would appear as though in a sucker for junks….vehicles and stoves alike 🤷🏼‍♂️
Well I don't think many people would say good classic cars are junk. Or even good classic stoves. But there are better options now in many ways.

Btw a 98 Chevy truck is a great combo of modern convenience and classic simplicity. There are honestly many stoves with a similar combination

Classic vs. modern...

Bottom line, this is more fun to look at:

934_main_l.jpg

But this is more fun to drive!

USD00DOC201E021001.jpg

I’m not 100% sure on that one….Bo Duke always seemed to be having fun to me
Yeah, they were fun, for the time. But I've owned both, in fact I drove the one in the second photo yesterday, and there's really no comparison in their performance.

Point is, the classic VC and Jotul designs are the most beautiful stoves you can buy today, but they're not among the top performers. Meanwhile, stoves like the PE Alderlea T6 and BK Ashford 30 (among many others) have come pretty close to replicating that beauty, but with far superior performance.

The thing that amuses me most about all of this is whether @BKVP will chime in, as I'm praising one of his stoves while trash-talking his beloved classic Mopar. ;lol

Reactions: Jaison and Tpaull
It would appear as though I'm a sucker for junks….vehicles and stoves alike 🤷🏼‍♂️
Regardless of preference, the primary issue is safety. If an old stove is leaky or poorly installed, then that needs to be remedied before running it again. It's the same as not driving an old (or newer) vehicle with brakes or tires that need attention.

Hey OP...All great input here (including a black sexy muscle car) but keep in mind that when you write stainless liner, please have an insulated liner regardless of which stove you select.

Also, the 25C Federal Tax credit may help with costs. There are several stoves to choose from. The credit is 30% up to a total of $2,000.00 So use some of that to get the best performing and safest components for your installation. Now for the disclaimer:

I am not a tax adviser. You may or may not be eligible for the tax credit. Consult your tax advisor. Next disclaimer: Chevelle's Rule!

1965 540 cu in Chevelle.jpg

Next disclaimer: Chevelle's Rule!
Sorry, forgot... you're a bowtie guy. My photo should've been an old Chevelle against the 1000 HP C8 Corvette. :p

Reactions: BKVP
Sorry, forgot... you're a bowtie guy. My photo should've been an old Chevelle against the 1000 HP C8 Corvette. :p

As far as performance goes absolutely no question new stuff wins hands down. But there is something very fun about the older stuff and just the simplicity of it is appealing

Reactions: Tpaull and Ashful
As far as performance goes absolutely no question new stuff wins hands down. But there is something very fun about the older stuff and just the simplicity of it is appealing
And I can work on it!

Reactions: TomMcDonald
Older cars/trucks actully run 99 % of the time and you can repair them for a lot less cash and for the most part & that can be a diy thing if you are into that at all. Since the mid 2000's cars have become a royal pain in the wallet up front and for the duration of ownership.
Stoves well they are fairly simple any way but the newer ones do not seem to put out as much heat as the older generations for a given size. Personally I do not like the lack of user input/control on most of the stoves now days. i get a lot high wind speed with a 25 ft flue the draw is very high in those conditions, requiring multiple ways to reduce same so things do not run away. and ya i blame the epa for both areas above

OK kids, car talk belongs in the Inglenook. We know you like to brag about your toys, but this thread is about helping the OP choose a replacement stove.

Reactions: BKVP
Hey OP...All great input here (including a black sexy muscle car) but keep in mind that when you write stainless liner, please have an insulated liner regardless of which stove you select.

Also, the 25C Federal Tax credit may help with costs. There are several stoves to choose from. The credit is 30% up to a total of $2,000.00 So use some of that to get the best performing and safest components for your installation. Now for the disclaimer:

I am not a tax adviser. You may or may not be eligible for the tax credit. Consult your tax advisor. Next disclaimer: Chevelle's Rule!

View attachment 311359
I didn’t have the heart to say GM made a better car than mopar

FB455A6B-709E-439D-A65E-572E8B8FAFB6.jpeg

Reactions: JamesGuido
If anyone could herd cats, I'd bet it would be begreen!

Back to the stoves. Any thoughts, Tpaul? How can we help you narrow it down?

I'd spend a few minutes each on the Jotul, Pacific Energy, and Blaze King sites, since you mentioned a preference for the cast look. From BK, it would only be the Ashford suiting that, PE and Jotul would have several options. begreen and bholler can surely recommend a few more.

Reactions: Diabel
And as beautiful as the Vermont Castings stoves are……..do not waste your time reading up on them.😉

If anyone could herd cats, I'd bet it would be begreen!

Back to the stoves. Any thoughts, Tpaul? How can we help you narrow it down?

I'd spend a few minutes each on the Jotul, Pacific Energy, and Blaze King sites, since you mentioned a preference for the cast look. From BK, it would only be the Ashford suiting that, PE and Jotul would have several options. begreen and bholler can surely recommend a few more.
Jotul also makes a fine series of good looking cast iron jacketed steel stoves, the F35, F45, and F55. They are made in Maine and of high quality.

Reactions: Ashful
Jotul also makes a fine series of good looking cast iron jacketed steel stoves, the F35, F45, and F55. They are made in Maine and of high quality.
My father in law has an f55 I believe it is. It’s steel construction with cast plating. I’m going to take a ride to Preston trading post and check them out.

Reactions: begreen
Yeah, if I were shopping Jotul today, it would definitely be their cast jacket steel models. I've become a huge fan of this construction, after 8 years of pushing massive cordage through these Ashfords, similarly built.

@Tpaull did you notice the great price on the F55 in MA posted yesterday?

Reactions: Ashful