Time to decide, Quad 7100fp vs. RSF Delta 2 Seeking expert (or semi-expert) advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gkucera

Jun 17, 2009
Northern California
Hello Everyone,
I have been studying everything I can for a month. There are other units that are interesting, including the Fx 44, we are down to the biggies from RSF and H&H;. Here is our scenario: We live in Rescue, California, at 1100 ft. It only gets down to 20 degrees here minimum, but it is in the 30s and 40s a lot and we are on the east side of a hill and it seems colder than the temp reading often. We have 4600 sq ft in a moderately insulated 3 story layout. The sublevel is actually above ground on the back of the house, and we have 600 ft there. It is bone chilling 5 months out of the year to work down there on my computer, but I am not sure I can solve that problem with the unit without considerable difficulty. The main floor (ground level from the front of the house), is 2400 sq feet in a mostly open layout, including a 700 sq ft great room with the existing gas decoration unit at the south end. To the north we have open spaces to the kitchen, breakfast nook, and dining area, a moderate opening to the front entry way, and separate rooms to the south of it, den, mud room and bathrooms. The great room is two stories high, with two balcony openings to the upstairs hallway. These are closed mostly with glass for kid safety, allowing only 6" x 5' for each area of air access. On the north side of the great room (talking 2nd floor now since air is the traveler here) we have one bedroom. bedrooms on the west side (front of house) across the hall, which spans to the master bedroom, that literally is behind the chase of the fp location in question. Our large master bedroom gets cold since it has vaulted ceilings and is far from the nice propane furnace. One bit of good news is that the upstairs intake for the central fan intake (see below for details) is 2/3 the way up the great room on the way. This will help a bit with the upstairs as these fans are on 75% of the time on low speed.
Here is our plan:
Rip out the hearth and put in quality class A chimney. This means Excel 8" if we go with the Delta 2 and duraplus 8" if we go with the 7100fp. Total cost for unit & 26' of chimney will be approx. $6,800 before (our outrageous Ca.) tax and about $400 less for the 7100fp DP combo. Both qualify for the rebate, but the Delta II is EPA exempt, which could limit burn days at some point in the future for us. (El Dorado county has no restrictions yet, but neighboring counties do).

We intend to put the units in with aux inputs from to the bottom of the stairway going to the sublevel and, maybe, putting a gravity vent 10' straight up the chaise to our master bedroom. Instead of a gravity vent, we may simply but a dampered opening straight through the shared walls of each bedroom to the great room...i figure a large vent near the top would allow a fair amount of heat through. I would also like to use a higher speed fan to suck air in from the stairway area i mentioned to increase the draw, as if it were outside air.

Comments are welcome anything I have posted, but here are my specific questions:
1. Considering the quad vs. the delta, assuming we decide the appeal is equal, which is better at primary home heating? I think we will use it 20/7 for 3 months and 12/7 for 2 months out of the year. We have very high end heaters & variable speed fans & high end duct work (Maytag IQDrive Seer 23 & 96%, 5 ton below & 4 ton on top). I suck through 1000 gallons of propane a winter currently and we are cold. I want to end that. I am really torn because I have read the the delta baffles and front rod bend every season (the guy who goes through 10 cords in maine; we will only go through 3ish) while the Quad has various idiosyncrasies, noisy motor, draft problems, heating walls, etc. Or should I ignore the negatives of ccs (like, a bear to replace, etc.) and go with the Fx 44 elite?

2. Can I use the blower to suck air into the system from an internal location? Seems better and I read on this site someone had done this with an opel or onyx.

3. Should I not suck air from a lower location like I am...creating negative pressure far from where I am pushing air out? I actually believe that just letting air go into the great room will get everywhere but the sublevel with a little help? Ideas?

Thanks in advance...this site rocks! George

1 yr ago i was in the same boat you are in now- trying to choose between 7100 and Delta.

I went with the RSF Delta 2 w/ ctrl air blower and a few ducts etc. to supplement/take over heating for my oil furnace. I was really concerned with the aesthetic differences between the two units -meaning for the considerable investment i wanted the stove and brick work to become the marquis of the room. Every time i burn the Delta i still sit and stare in amazment - it really makes the room. The major points that helped me decide was the insulated chimney, capable ctrl blower, the gorgeous view, the heating options and the size of the firebox.

Good luck-

Ken

you asked nice so i took the time to do some research for you..

the delta 2 has a 4.4 cubic ft fire box. and the quad has a 3.4cu the fpx 44 has a 4.3cu, and a cat

overall i'd go with the fpx 44.
fpx is very high quality!!!

it should be installed centrally in a huge room, with good air circulation to the rest of the home.

for your 4600sqft home the over 4.cu is better suited here in CA, i'm in Nevada City, btw, so i have a good idea of your environment. hot today ;)

i have always been impressed with the quality of rsf. but
if the unit qualifies for tax credit it was tested over u but isn't epa certified? i wonder why>>>
ps,
can you pull a permit for an epa exempt model in eldorado county? you haven't been able to in nevada county for years!

Thanks to both Ken and Dave for the replies!
Ken,
We are concerned about the tax exempt status of the Delta II at this point. I need to know if I can pull a permit and to know if I will be able to burn it as often as a EPA Certified unit.

Dave,
We were turning away from the Fx because of these factors:
1. Users saying that for overnight burn settings (medium to low), the glass becomes black. This isn't a big deal, but when we want to enjoy the view we may not be able to, or we have to clean it every morning.
2. The (arguably dated) catalytic issues; e.g., cost, hassle when they get stuck, degrade quickly, etc.
3. The cost. I can pick up the others for about $4K (unit only). I only asked once, but thought the Fx was much more.
4. The Fx doesn't use high end pipe (Excel or Simpson's Dura plus).
I am curious what you have to say about these issues?
Regards, George

George,
overall i do prefer non-cats, mostly because the look nicer burning. i sell stove parts for a living and yes, the cat being such a hassle/ frequent replacemnet issue is mostly myth.
over the years most customers and sweep clients liked the fpx models, they need little servicing, and the catalytics hold up well.

basic maint. like cleaning the primary air inlet and letting the fire burn at the correct speed(time,temp,turbulance) will help with clean glass, but the fpx has tooo big a pane of glass to stay clean in all burn situations. slow cool burn will dirty the glass on many a unit!

so you cant use ht pipe on the fpx? when i sweep fpx chimneys they always clean.....even if air cooled pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.