Time to retire?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I tread dangerously. >>

• Haha
Reactions: vinny11950
  • Wow
Reactions: vinny11950
My bet it now that they now what is doing it, they can switch the blends they use to make the tires over to something less toxic.

New research from the UW has pinned down the toxin that is killing local coho salmon.
Your puns are funs

It turns out, too much of anything turns into poison.

We humans are really good at doing the too much thing. Starting with too much of us. Ending with too much highly refined uranium or perhaps plutonium. Look at how life is thriving in the Chernobyl exclusion zone.

I read somewhere that humans are the real virus, and the earth's immune system is just working to eliminate the threat.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Your puns are funs

It turns out, too much of anything turns into poison.

We humans are really good at doing the too much thing. Starting with too much of us. Ending with too much highly refined uranium or perhaps plutonium. Look at how life is thriving in the Chernobyl exclusion zone.

I read somewhere that humans are the real virus, and the earth's immune system is just working to eliminate the threat.
We are great at doing too much of one thing.

We are great at doing too much of one thing.
Right you are spacebus! Our brains are wired by evolution to gather in as much bounty as possible when we can. Easier to survive the long winter and attract mates, from the caveman era. It requires some real willpower to shut this off, and most don't even want to.

Right you are spacebus! Our brains are wired by evolution to gather in as much bounty as possible when we can. Easier to survive the long winter and attract mates, from the caveman era. It requires some real willpower to shut this off, and most don't even want to.
I agree, and I think you are also right about various religious texts and the way they teach us how to live well, but not excessively. Like you I am also not "religious", but I know a set of instructions/manual when I see one.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I agree, and I think you are also right about various religious texts and the way they teach us how to live well, but not excessively. Like you I am also not "religious", but I know a set of instructions/manual when I see one.
I think you and I are on the same page.

The worst outcomes are when these instruction manuals are used as cudgels. All too common today and throughout history.

My bet it now that they now what is doing it, they can switch the blends they use to make the tires over to something less toxic.
That is the hope now that a smoking gun has been found. They did a great bit of detective work figuring this out. Now we need smart chemists to come up with an alternative and to get this stuff out of tires.