Timing issue...loading the stove when the stove isn't ready to be loaded

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ideal burn temperatures is whatever is required to heat the home. That can be regulated a lot just by the wood that you put in the stove. Not only the type of wood but the quantity. If little heat is needed, there certainly is no need to fill the stove. This morning was a good example. When we got up the sun was shining brightly and a warm, mid-30's day forecast. I put in 3 small splits of ash. That was good until around 5:00 when I added some. Now I wish I'd waited as it is hot in here.

Sometimes it's hard to judge, Dennis. We both know its trial and error, and depending upon of the cold front comes in as expected :confused:

Ideal burn temperatures is whatever is required to heat the home. That can be regulated a lot just by the wood that you put in the stove. Not only the type of wood but the quantity. If little heat is needed, there certainly is no need to fill the stove. This morning was a good example. When we got up the sun was shining brightly and a warm, mid-30's day forecast. I put in 3 small splits of ash. That was good until around 5:00 when I added some. Now I wish I'd waited as it is hot in here.
Wow...all day on 3 pieces of wood ?
I burn about a wheel barrel and a half a day(24hrs)
I have to load mine about every 2-3 hours to keep it burning well. If I load it to the top and choke it down it will go about 4-6 hrs depending...

I have to load mine about every 2-3 hours to keep it burning well. If I load it to the top and choke it down it will go about 4-6 hrs depending...

How big is the firebox in that stove??

Sometimes it's hard to judge, Dennis. We both know its trial and error, and depending upon of the cold front comes in as expected :confused:

Hence, the need to pay attention to the forecast. Actually, we never depend upon one source. We use mainly NOAA and accuweather. One strange thing we have noticed over the years is that sometimes NOAA is much more accurate and then suddenly it will turn the other way around. Also, accuweather has gone the way of mass media. That is, they try to blow things out of proportion; make big headlines. It is all bull. Why not just tell it like it is? Like just a short time ago we read that dangerous cold was coming our way. Dangerous? I think not. After all, there are many who live with these temperatures year after year so it is not a danger to them.

In the end we hope for more trial than error. ;)

Something does not sound right here. 2-3 hour burn is crazy for sure. Either that stove is super small or some other problem. I'm not that familiar with your particular stove but Jotul makes good stoves for sure.

Yes, we can put 3 or medium or small splits in the stove and reach 600 degrees or more and it holds heat for many hours. This was not always the case as the stove we had before the Woodstock Fireview we burned at least 6 full cord of wood and were always cold in the winter. I hate wearing outdoor clothing in the house. We put the Fireview in and cut our wood needs in half immediately. In addition, we no longer close off any of the house in the winter but we used to.

We may go to bed tonight without putting any more wood in. The temperature in here is down to 86 right now! I put in 3 splits about 3 1/2 hours ago. It may hold all night. Probably won't have much for coals in the morning but that is not a problem.

Hence, the need to pay attention to the forecast. Actually, we never depend upon one source. We use mainly NOAA and accuweather. One strange thing we have noticed over the years is that sometimes NOAA is much more accurate and then suddenly it will turn the other way around. Also, accuweather has gone the way of mass media. That is, they try to blow things out of proportion; make big headlines. It is all bull. Why not just tell it like it is? Like just a short time ago we read that dangerous cold was coming our way. Dangerous? I think not. After all, there are many who live with these temperatures year after year so it is not a danger to them.

In the end we hope for more trial than error. ;)

Absolutely pay attention to the forecast. But we've all had evenings where we light off because the temp is gonna drop, and whammo, it doesn't and you've got the windows open ;) (that was my point, I should have clarified better !! )

How big is this wheel barrow?

Something does not sound right here. 2-3 hour burn is crazy for sure. Either that stove is super small or some other problem. I'm not that familiar with your particular stove but Jotul makes good stoves for sure.

Yes, we can put 3 or medium or small splits in the stove and reach 600 degrees or more and it holds heat for many hours. This was not always the case as the stove we had before the Woodstock Fireview we burned at least 6 full cord of wood and were always cold in the winter. I hate wearing outdoor clothing in the house. We put the Fireview in and cut our wood needs in half immediately. In addition, we no longer close off any of the house in the winter but we used to.

We may go to bed tonight without putting any more wood in. The temperature in here is down to 86 right now! I put in 3 splits about 3 1/2 hours ago. It may hold all night. Probably won't have much for coals in the morning but that is not a problem.
I burn about 4-6 cord depending on how brutal the winter is and that is burning the stove 24/7

It is a 70,000 btu. heats 2000 sq ft according to manual. Did not see a size of firebox. I think it's roughly 2cu/ft

The Englander 30 is rated at 75K and has a 3.5cu ft firebox. I don't know how much I'd trust btu ratings though. The amount of btus that a stove puts out is directly related to the density of the wood you put in it. If you load with poplar you aren't going to be putting the btus out that you would if you loaded with oak.

I burn mostly red oak. A little maple here and there but 85% red oak seasoned about 1 yr.It has been down for over 2 but split and stacked for 1.

But what was the EPA or manufacturer burning when they figured out what number to put on the brochure?

The Englander 30 is rated at 75K and has a 3.5cu ft firebox. I don't know how much I'd trust btu ratings though. The amount of btus that a stove puts out is directly related to the density of the wood you put in it. If you load with poplar you aren't going to be putting the btus out that you would if you loaded with oak.

I think the 30 can and just did it. Too big of a night load and at 840 stove top on the charring run it was probably putting out 75K+ easy for forty minutes. I have a winter tan now.

Reactions: Dix
I've never hoped so much that somebody has tan lines... There's no reason to scare the neighbors now... ==c

Folks need to remember that those max BTU on cordwood numbers are with somebody standing there stoking the thing like a steam locomotive. You can do it with a load but it ain't gonna hold there for a long time.

Reactions: Dix
I've never hoped so much that somebody has tan lines... There's no reason to scare the neighbors now... ==c

Do you think I need to follow the old advice to have a hot fire in the morning to keep the chimney clean? ;lol

That old advice gets followed in my house by accident every once in a while. I figure it happens with everybody. My nose usually tells me a few minutes before the smoke detector goes off.

I think I'd get a very bad feeling in the pit of my stomach if I saw 840 on my stovetop.....

Meh - it puts me into action, but I don't sweat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.