Tjernlund AireShare room to room fan

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Best Holiday Brew is made right here in Cleveland. Only produced 2 months a year. Great Lakes Brewing Co. "Christmas Ale"..... Mmmmmmmmm.

Attachments

• XmasAle.jpg
    XmasAle.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 335
Is the cap still on that?

No wonder ur not gettin anything dun.

I like Wi. stuff, Miller, Harley, etc etc.

smoke show said:
Is the cap still on that?

No wonder ur not gettin anything dun.

I like Wi. stuff, Miller, Harley, etc etc.

Here is the Main reason I am getting nothing done today. Trying to help Mama out and give her a break.

She is so cute.... Gonna drive me crazy later in life. But for now, she is perfect. My 10 yr old Son wont worry me as much. I want him to "date" in a few years. Mikayla on the other hand, isnt allowed to date till I am dead!!!

She is Daddy's little girl.. Thats for sure.

Attachments

• Mikayla.jpg
    Mikayla.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 341
What a little cutey!

That look in her eye says "when dad's not looking I'm cranking that quad up over there!" :cheese:

Do I see a wood stove burn on that hand holden a brewski? Don't get those from pellet eater! ;-P

j-takeman said:
What a little cutey!

That look in her eye says "when dad's not looking I'm cranking that quad up over there!" :cheese:

Do I see a wood stove burn on that hand holden a brewski? Don't get those from pellet eater! ;-P

Yep. Got 5 GOOD burns this year. Best one was on my Bicep. One on my forearm and 3 on my hands. Only get them when I open the door half way. I have since learned (prob not). Sure many more are to come.

As for the baby. She will sit with me and watch the fire for days. I think she is a bigger firebug than me (and the Wife hates it!) .

She is a cutey! I have 15 year old twins, one of each. I keep telling them that when they are 40 they can do whatever they want!

Happy New Yeare.

Well... Got a late start on it. Not finished, but got the blower in and the wires on it hanging down to the switch (not in yet). Also need to cut hole for diffuser. After that, it will be complete. Not putting it on a stat, as I will just run it at night.

Actually easier than the Broan fans to install. The Broan is a PITA to get the wires in and keep the unit in the hole..... I have 2 layers of Drywall. Re-Drywalled the entire house a few years back and put the new (5/8") up over the old (3/8"). Helped a lot with the insulation.

Anyways. Not starting a new thread, so when someone searches this, its all combined and has the needed info.

Thanks again for the info smoke. Always good help.

Attachments

• vent1.jpg
    vent1.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 321
  • vent2.jpg
    vent2.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 325
  • vent3.jpg
    vent3.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 347
  • vent4.jpg
    vent4.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 336
smoke show said:
Lookin good.

Is the diffuser gonna be at floor level?

No..... About midway down the wall. My dresser is kinda in the way. So its gonna be right above the top of it.

Obviously more pics to follow. And then a review within a couple days. I bench tested it. And its much quieter than the Broans.

K... Got home a little late from work today. Only got the diffuser in and the wires ran up to the outlet/switch.. Didnt install the switch because the Diagram is confusing (yeah, Im a little slow..) A standard wall outlet, o.k... A standard switch, o.k.... A switch and an outlet!!! WTF was I thinking?

Anyways. My Father is gonna stop by tomorrow after I get out of work and "Hook me up".

Here are a couple more pics. Fired the Quad up (Can see in the background of one pic), to get house up to temp. Wife left everything off when she left this morning (Her and friends went out for breakfast and then a Baby Shower). So when I got home it was about 60*. Fahrenheit and Quad got it up to temp in about an hr (73*).

Tomorrow, the Aireshare will be running. (Hoping anyways?) ;-P

Attachments

• dif1.jpg
    dif1.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 315
  • dif2.jpg
    dif2.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 299
  • dif3.jpg
    dif3.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 281
  • dif4switch.jpg
    dif4switch.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 328
I'll give it a shot the right side of the switch/outlet(line) must be bridged to the outlet(terminology probly wrong).

Looks like they have a jumper depicted on the right side. You could probly break the tab off if you wanted to have seperate lines in.

Upper left is load out and lower left is nuetral for outlet.

Disclaimer: I'm not an electrician, but I did sleep at a holiday inn express!

Make sense?

smoke show said:
I'll give it a shot the right side of the switch/outlet(line) must be bridged to the outlet(terminology probly wrong).

Looks like they have a jumper depicted on the right side. You could probly break the tab off if you wanted to have seperate lines in.

Upper left is load out and lower left is nuetral for outlet.

Disclaimer: I'm not an electrician, but I did sleep at a holiday inn express!

Make sense?

Thanks for the response Smoke..... Makes better sense than what I had. Gettin ready to hit the sack...

My Father is a Jack of all Trades. We used to work together (8 yrs) He moved on to another job. Only a few miles down the road from where I am. We both drive an hour to work.... Anyways. I know he can do it. This time I will pay attention and listen (young and dumb). He is a Wise man that has taught me many things.....

The one thing I got to teach him, was to not use Propane. His 25-PDV is heating his house on Heat setting 2 or 3 and blower 3 or 4. He has never been happier. He almost bought a Harman off of Craiglist, but Mom vetoed it quickly. As I got him the Englander for free....

Ranting!!!! Sorry........ :)

I was searching for something similar. Does anyone have any idea on how to set up airflow? I use a big box fan now and its loud, so would like a couple of these to move air around.
I guess it depends a lot on house layout. I just don't want to punch a bunch of holes in the wall to try it out!

I think if I did it again I would try to move warm air into this particular room instead of moving the cold air out and trying to pull in the warm air.

If that makes any sense? HTH

smoke show said:
I think if I did it again I would try to move warm air into this particular room instead of moving the cold air out and trying to pull in the warm air.

If that makes any sense? HTH

Because I want my bedroom door closed at night. I am pushing the warm air up top in tue room and letting the cold air.come out under the door. The house has one main cold air return, so the doors have a 1.5" gap under them for cold air return. Worked well with the Broan Fans. So hoping to get the same results, just a quiter fan. Got my Sons Boy Scout meeting tonight, so I hope to get it done before or after the meeting. Just gotta finish the switch.

bimmerbill said:
I was searching for something similar. Does anyone have any idea on how to set up airflow? I use a big box fan now and its loud, so would like a couple of these to move air around.
I guess it depends a lot on house layout. I just don't want to punch a bunch of holes in the wall to try it out!

This is how I'm currently doing it. When the temperature is above 30, one fan mounted at the top of the door frame is enough. When it drops to the 20's or below, I add the second fan at the bottom. The top fan blows warm air out, and the bottom fan blows cold air in.

The dining room is the only place the wife would consent to a pellet stove. This is the only door to move heat out of.

This is the fan I'm using, moves a lot of air and is very quiet. http://www.honeywellstore.com/store/products/honeywell-turboforce-air-circulator-fan-ht-900.htm

Attachments

• fans.jpg
    fans.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 349
bimmer, I am having great success w/ vornado fans. Tried the cold air in, warm air out, ceiling fans, thru wall fan; still a 6 deg differential betw stove room and adjacent room. Best result was w/ a fan blowing across the stove front toward the doorway. House (1865 3 room down/3 up) has low and narrow doorways. Last week, I tried a vornado on the floor, directed diagonally to the opposite ceiling corner in the adjacent room. Wow! Floor is warm, entire room is warm, and no temp differential. Now, do I get another fan for the third room, or try cutting a transom over that door?

The Honeywell fans I linked to above are similar to Vornado for a lot less $

ohbix said:
bimmer, I am having great success w/ vornado fans. Tried the cold air in, warm air out, ceiling fans, thru wall fan; still a 6 deg differential betw stove room and adjacent room. Best result was w/ a fan blowing across the stove front toward the doorway. House (1865 3 room down/3 up) has low and narrow doorways. Last week, I tried a vornado on the floor, directed diagonally to the opposite ceiling corner in the adjacent room. Wow! Floor is warm, entire room is warm, and no temp differential. Now, do I get another fan for the third room, or try cutting a transom over that door?
Interesting... I've been experimenting with a Vornado, mostly trying to blow cold air into the stove room, but have not had much luck reducing the 6 - 10 deg temperature differential between rooms. Help me understand your set up. Are you saying you have the fan down by the stove and pointing up toward the top of the door to the adjacent room?

Ken-H said:
The Honeywell fans I linked to above are similar to Vornado for a lot less $

I love these Honeywell fans. Powerful little guys.

My own experience with fans is always ongoing.............looking for the sweet spot.
Doorway fans only work somewhat. The thing to remember is fans push air, you never
feel them pulling air around. So what I have is fan in the stove room pushing air toward
the doorway and a fan 8'-10' outside the room bushing cold air back in. This creates
a convection loop and makes a huge difference.

PJPellet said:
I love these Honeywell fans. Powerful little guys.

They make a great corner fan too. It'll move mare air than anyone, regardless of how many bean burritos they've eaten. ;-)

DonD; see pics and explanation. Each photo was shot from the entry way which is opposite the stairs (vertical strip between two fan rooms). Two fans: first one (Fan 1)is level w/ the hot air coming out of the stove; blowing across horizontally toward the doorway. Fan 2 is in the adjacent room on the floor, directed diagonally upward. I have fan 1 on medium setting; fan 2 on low. Today is a fair test as it's been in the teens w/ strong winds since Sunday. fyi yes, I have the megaturbo Honeywell fans, a big floor fan as well as two smaller ones. They weren't as effective in this application.

Attachments

• stove fan locations.jpg
    stove fan locations.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 282
  • stove fan jan 3 2012small.jpg
    stove fan jan 3 2012small.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 281
  • adjacent room fan jan 3 2012small.jpg
    adjacent room fan jan 3 2012small.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 290
Status
Not open for further replies.