To Caulk or Not to Caulk?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Busy_Bosco

Apr 23, 2020
West Virginia
I got my chimney running outside, and I'm wondering if I should caulk the chimney pieces together with high temp silicone.

The stove manual makes no mention of caulk, besides the initial connector piece, and even then it gives no temperature rating

I have JBWELD caulk rated 600 degrees for $12. I found a tube of 3M rated at 2,000 degrees for $50.

Is this $50 caulk really necessary? Have you used the 600 degree rated stuff?

This is all I’ve ever used and never had a problem...11$ and 650f

Attachments

• BB57543D-C3A1-40A1-BC20-CE82446643C3.jpeg
    BB57543D-C3A1-40A1-BC20-CE82446643C3.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 173
Outside I wouldn't bother sealing it
after all, it isn't going to leak smoke into the house

Whatever came with the pellet vent kit is what I used on the first adapter on the stove, then nothing after that or outside.
Bill

You don't want to seal the outside venting with anything, in fact, I use never seize on the pipe joints to facilitate taking them apart yearly so clean them out.

Only place you want sealed is the transition nipple from the draft fan housing to the pellet vent pipe and I always use Ren high temp silicone for that and any venting inside the house. Outside venting, nothing (except never-seize in my case). I like easy take apart.