To hedge or not to hedge...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fishki

Jan 5, 2017
SE Kansas
Driving out in the country today and came across 2 piles of hedge trees a farmer had shoved out to put in new fence lines. They are going to burn the piles next week, So, I'm going to try and get all I can out of them first.

The pictures don't really show how large these trees are, I should have thrown in something for scale, ooops.

The first pic where the trunk has the broken fork is roughly 5 ft off the ground.
Second pic, those twisted limbs are well above my head.
Third, might as well still be a standing tree.

This will suck, but cant pass this up, taking 2 of my employees with me to help.

Attachments

• IMG_4203.JPG
    IMG_4203.JPG
    328 KB · Views: 319
  • IMG_4205.JPG
    IMG_4205.JPG
    322.6 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_4209.JPG
    IMG_4209.JPG
    351.8 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_4206.JPG
    IMG_4206.JPG
    321.7 KB · Views: 301
Reactions: Lone_Gun
You have to ask? Is it green and clean? That looks like easy pickings. Bring good work gloves/clothes, chainsaw file and extra chains. Don't procrastinate on splitting it or you might be sorry.

You Kansas guys have all the luck.

Does anyone remember learning about the dust bowl? If not, it's the reason all those fence rows were planted.

Human nature never changes. And, memories are short.

I miss all the pheasants and quail.

Great burning stuff. One word of caution...when trees are pushed into piles like that, there could be a bunch of pressure on some of the branches. Pay attention to the possible stress loads.

Reactions: AmbDrvr253
Good score. If you have to prioritize, obviously the trunks and large limbs would be first on the list. Though with hedge, there is really no 'bad' wood. Even 2-3" branches will make great heat for a fall evening - or a bunch of fast coals to grill on.

On the plus side, it doesn't look like the trees are any more twisted up in those piles than they would naturally grow. He might have even straightened them out some!

Reactions: Dobish
Well this turned into a nightmare, and no hedge for me. Its seems the property is owned by not 1, but 2 brothers. One said I could cut all I wanted, so went and loaded up to cut wood, called to let them know I was coming out, the second brother knew nothing of it and said pretty much hell no, you cant cut any wood, stay off my property.

Since I don't really know these people I didn't want to press the issue of one saying it was ok the day before, maybe he decided against it I don't know. So, I just tucked my tail between my legs and drove home empty handed. :(

So, I just tucked my tail between my legs and drove home empty handed. :(

Dang! I guess this falls into the category of "If it seems to good to be true, you're probably right." Oh well, next time.

A bummer you didn't get any but at least you asked. Would not have been a good situation if the second brother had come out when you were cutting. Not what you want to hear but you win some you loose some. Next one will hopefully work out in your favor, trust me your not the only one who has been in that predicament before.

Death by committee. Hate that. Have you had hedge before? It's the bomb but I'd hate to burn 100% hedge. Just opening the stove door can be way too exciting...

This kind of thing happens in the scrounge game. Like others said, you win some you lose some. A better opportunity will come along soon if you keep your eye out. Best to just stay away as you said and not question the logic (or lack thereof) of their position.

Once a tree crew told me I was welcome to some really nice black locust all cut to stove length sitting in an apartment building parking lot. I return ready to load up, literally lifting the first piece into my car, only to have the landlord run up and tell me I certainly cannot take it because all the apartments have fireplaces (duh!). I could have asked what a bunch of unsplit, unseasoned locust has to do with his tenants' fireplaces, and wondered how wise it was to encourage his tenants to burn any wood in what I am sure are very old, clogged fireplaces. But it wasn't my place. It was his wood, and his decision. Two years later, all that locust is still sitting in the same pile, and I just have to chuckle every time I drive by. Maybe in a couple more years he will pay someone to remove it...

Yes it could have turned into a bad situation real quick. Luckily it didn't. Oh well, the county still lets me scavenge their burn piles, they even furnished me a map to all of them. There piles are kind of a smorgasbord of different flavors, take all I want and no mess to clean up:)

@Soundchasm , Yes I love burning hedge, have some stacked up ready for this winters cold nites. :cool:

I would never let anyone scrounge anything on my property...ever. Too much liability.

I am jaded, having worked in manufacturing my entire life. People scam disability and fake injuries every single day in every single factory. It is sad to see.

I would never let anyone scrounge anything on my property...ever. Too much liability.

I am jaded, having worked in manufacturing my entire life. People scam disability and fake injuries every single day in every single factory. It is sad to see.

Yes, that happens. I'm a good judge of character though, and we have a lot of good character folks around here, neighbors, friends and strangers, perhaps soon to be friends. I've always taken my chances as long as there were no obvious red flags, life is too short to worry about theoretical bad things that could happen. By saying "no" for no good reason, a bad thing has already happened.

I have homeowner insurance and have never even needed to make a claim. If I had said "no" all those years, well how is that making the world a better place if I distrust everyone.

Three weeks ago I had a tree service guy knock on my door. He had been hired by the neighbor to fell a large tree and wanted to know if he could drop it across the back of my back yard. He said he could fall it between some maple and chestnut trees and he didn't think there would be any damage but didn't want to guarantee there wouldn't be a minor limb knocked off or such. I asked him how long he had been in the business and whether he was bonded and insured. 12 years and yes, did I want to see his proof of insurance? I said, no, that's fine, be careful and good luck! He thanked me for being a good neighbor and left my yard in great shape. I was left with a good feeling and his day went a whole lot better.

How would I have felt if he made a mistake and died while high-topping that tree because I said "no"? Yes, I took a small chance but we all end up underground soon enough anyway. Some people take life far too seriously! Don't worry, be happy (but not stupid).