tobacco-like smell in stove room

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good thought, Shari. I'm late here, and did not read every reply, but I get a similar smell when I have wood swarf sitting atop the stove. I've not yet found a way to load thru the top door, without getting at least a few wood chips sprinkled on the stove top. Sometimes I clean it off, other times I just enjoy the aroma those chips put off as they roast atop the stove. It reminds me of having open fireplaces, which I had for most of my life.

You said your stove pipe exits the back of your stove for a couple of feet and then into a 90 that connects to your liner and proceeds up the chimney. Since you specifically say you used a 90 and did not mention using a T - connector to make your 90 degree turn up the chimney it's possible that some creosote could have flaked off your ss liner and fallen down the pipe and gathered in you 90 elbow. It is usually not good when this happens since a pile of creosote so close to the stove where exhaust gasses are hottest can spark a chimney fire. I think that's the main reason T - connectors are usually recommended for this type of installation. Any creosote that flakes off the inside of the liner falls to the bottom of the connector away from the hot exhaust gasses.
Good point. I wish I had included a T when I installed this. I'm thinking I should put one in.

;lol
First time I have heard that term applied to wood burning, and the first time I have heard it since I've been out of the shop. I had to think about it for a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.