Today's load

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

baseroom

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Rochester
Just picked up a load of EAB ash! I cut it a year ago...now to get splitting!
three.jpg one.jpg two.jpg

I was able to pick up a trailer load of honey locust today.
Supposed to produce high btus

I was able to pick up a trailer load of honey locust today.
Supposed to produce high btus
It does! It is a nice long even burn...I like it! It is a little harder to get going from a cold start even well seasoned...for that reason I would always load on a good bed of coals when burning 24/7..

I burn a fair amount of Honey Locust as well. Splits pretty well, high BTU.....smells great when split!

I burn a fair amount of Honey Locust as well. Splits pretty well, high BTU.....smells great when split!
I agree with splits well & btu’s but you must have better smelling Honey Locust out there, fresh cut/split Honey Locust is not pleasant smelling to my nose. My neighbor sure likes to burn the HL I have taken him.

I agree with splits well & btu’s but you must have better smelling Honey Locust out there, fresh cut/split Honey Locust is not pleasant smelling to my nose. My neighbor sure likes to burn the HL I have taken him.
Hmmm maybe depends on the soil!!!

For me, I actually liked the smell when I split it.
You know when good things happen it happens all at once. I had another friend call me and say they had oak dropped and darn it I cant get to both

For me, I actually liked the smell when I split it.
You know when good things happen it happens all at once. I had another friend call me and say they had oak dropped and darn it I cant get to both
Oak and Locust Wow!

All the honey locust I've split smells great. Almost like a fresh green bean kind of smell.
Must just be my nose, about the only thing I cut that smells good to me is Cherry & Cedar, most are neutral but Honey Locust is by far the least pleasant smelling, fragrance wise but it does reek of BTU’s. Lol

Reactions: Woody5506