Todays Milling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Billy, I've looked at the Logrite arch and if we decide to buy one that is the one we want. Thanks for the links, we have decided (could change)with the size 18x18 with a shed style roof and a front porch.

We still are getting some info on what type of foundation NYS or our town requires for this size building then it's agreeing on the spot.
to build it

Zap

Sound good Zap

At my house I can build up to 200 sq/f without getting a permit. Which is about 12x16. At the farm I want to put in a few small guest cabins but I am going to make them look like big hunting shacks.

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
Sound good Zap

At my house I can build up to 200 sq/f without getting a permit. Which is about 12x16. At the farm I want to put in a few small guest cabins but I am going to make them look like big hunting shacks.

Billy

Had a nice talk with the code enforcement officer yesterday, next on the list is the assessors office so we have a good idea what this will do with our taxes. The CEO did say anything under 1500 square feet can be built on skids.

We are thinking that a 18 x 18 cabin with a front porch the same width but 8-10 feet deep, we are taking a run back in later to look at the spots we will choose from. Looking to build it off the brook about 100 feet .(code)

Any good cheap cad programs I can purchase, just need it for the CEO.

Zap

smokinjay said:
Looks like a lumbar yard! Awesome........

When milling in the winter will it be harder on the saw and will the wood react much different (cracking) then in the summer.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

When milling in the winter will it be harder on the saw and will the wood react much different (cracking) then in the summer.

zap

Milling in the winter is easier on the saw with cooler temps. Fresh cross cut with painted ends either way.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap

Milling in the winter is easier on the saw with cooler temps. Fresh cross cut with painted ends either way.

That sounds good, looks like Friday will be a day of milling some hemlock then it's off to more pine. Did you have a design yet for the chicken coop?

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap

That sounds good, looks like Friday will be a day of milling some hemlock then it's off to more pine. Did you have a design yet for the chicken coop?

zap

Yep, and decided not to put the post in the ground.... ;-)

Went back in tonight an picked out our spot for the cabin, a few stump removals plus some dead trees and we should be fine.

zap

zapny said:
Cowboy Billy said:
Sound good Zap

Billy

Had a nice talk with the code enforcement officer yesterday, next on the list is the assessors office so we have a good idea what this will do with our taxes. The CEO did say anything under 1500 square feet can be built on skids.

We are thinking that a 18 x 18 cabin with a front porch the same width but 8-10 feet deep, we are taking a run back in later to look at the spots we will choose from. Looking to build it off the brook about 100 feet .(code)

Any good cheap cad programs I can purchase, just need it for the CEO.

Zap

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SketchUp

JimboM, thanks for the info. I did stop at OfficeMax to pickup TurboCad Designer 17 :eek:hh:

zap

Ratman said:
Zap, you and quads rule!

Thanks Ratman but I can't hold a candle to Quads, the man is a mean machine when it comes to work. It has felt good to take the summer off and do some milling. I did take a run back in tonight an scanned the side of the hills for more wood, I'll be cutting again starting in the fall until I'm snowed out of the woods.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.