Too bad I cannot convert my biomass stove to cool instead of heat.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Has a long way to go with all of that piping and video just too complicated for me but I tried and the future ---seems like a swamp cooler--and I am sure it could be worked on more to turn it into something really good for the future. clancey

Problem with a swamp cooler is, at least for anyone where the RH is already high is, it imparts moisture in the air so it raises the RH and not something I don't want to do up here. Would work good for you because you live in a more arid climate.

I want to lower the RH, not raise it in the summer. Winter, no. The higher the RH is in the summer, the more you sweat.

Reactions: bogieb
Problem with a swamp cooler is, at least for anyone where the RH is already high is, it imparts moisture in the air so it raises the RH and not something I don't want to do up here. Would work good for you because you live in a more arid climate.

I want to lower the RH, not raise it in the summer. Winter, no. The higher the RH is in the summer, the more you sweat.

Yeah, my house has finally gotten down to 61% humidity after a week of being over 70%.

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Yeah, my house has finally gotten down to 61% humidity after a week of being over 70%.
I guess the big issue with a high RH is just the opposite of a winter low RH. Doors stick, drawers won't open (have that issue in my armory right now, cannot get into the cabinet where I keep my loaded rounds...lol), More importantly, those wonderful and tasty cookies you have in the cupboard in the kitchen, take on a taste unique to dampness, IOW they taste terrible and I hate than. I like my Oreo's to taste like Oreo's, not stale bread.

Reactions: bogieb
I think when you have humidity you look a lot younger and your eyes are not as dry for the positive side of it as well as other things that could be negative like getting out of a shower and still feeling wet..but yes it takes its toll but so does extreme dryness...Your lawns look beautiful and not much of forest fires and at least you know you have water..Wood drying of course is another ball game for I think it would take longer to get to the low percentage for burning..One point is if you live in it permanently you kind of forget about it and do just fine but its when you go to another area with dryness and stay awhile then come back to it-----------that's when you really notice it.. Happy 4th of July clancey

One thing I despise doing is mowing grass. Probably why I have converted almost every piece of lawn to growing hay. besides, alfalfa don't grow high and I sell it so instead of being a liability, it becomes a profit motivator.

I think when you have humidity you look a lot younger and your eyes are not as dry for the positive side of it as well as other things that could be negative like getting out of a shower and still feeling wet..but yes it takes its toll but so does extreme dryness...Your lawns look beautiful and not much of forest fires and at least you know you have water..Wood drying of course is another ball game for I think it would take longer to get to the low percentage for burning..One point is if you live in it permanently you kind of forget about it and do just fine but its when you go to another area with dryness and stay awhile then come back to it-----------that's when you really notice it.. Happy 4th of July clancey

One would think so, but that is not necessarily the case. You would think the humidity would mean rain, or even dew, but until this weekend, my area had not gotten any for nearly two weeks (we have been in some sort of drought/abnormally dry conditions since last summer). My lawn/weeds were burning up again and the mowing had stopped - and when I mowed two weeks ago it was just to get the straggliess. The swamp next door dried up, even the day lilies are having a hard time and not blooming as they normally do. A lot of people's wells dried up last summer

I have to pick and choose which of my garden plants get watered since we are trying to conserve water (many towns have been in a watering ban except for vegetable gardens). AND, I hate watering gardens as I try to pick plants that will thrive natrually. I got 3" of a nice slow soaking rain over this past weekend. Normal years I would have a small stream in my back yard and both drainage areas (at either side of the property) would have water in them. The runoff from the swamp would give me a nice musical burbling stream sound. The ground soaked it all up though and there is none of that. We need 10+" of rain to make up for our deficit.

I'll admit that even though we have had a lot of red flag days, the wildfires aren't nearly as extreme as those out in drier climes.

Even though we have had a pretty substantial amount of rain as of late, if you dig down a couple feet. it's still dry. Hot too. 90 today, 91 tomorrow. Good Cantaloupe growing weather. Good bug weather too.