Too Many Irons in the Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MTY

Feeling the Heat
Jan 9, 2019
Idaho
I just finished up a retaining wall, back filled it and planted. Thursday is supposed to be the day we pour the basement floor.

I have water all over the place. I cIeaned the spring box and back flushed the pipe to the old cistern, and now I have more water than I can deal with. I have timers set to squirt it out on the field twice a day.

We hit another small spring while digging the pits for the two new cisterns, and as soon as that dries out enough to get a truck in, two new cisterns will be placed. Then it is trenching time. I am still waiting on bids for geothermal as if we go that way I will use the water trenches for the geothermal piping.

I'm trying to get things in order for siding to start next week. As soon as that is going, I have to build another two retaining walls. I bought 900 70 pound blocks for the walls. I figure there is about 15,000 pounds of block in the wall just finished.

I was contemplating buying a logging truck of buckskin tamarack, but I have no idea of when I could CSS.

I'd like to get the outside pretty well finished, the basement interior framed by October and wire and plumb over the winter.

All this on top of trying to run the business.

Last edited:
I'm envious for your generous water supply. It's late to start processing wood for this year. Why not just buy some cords of split wood now and get them stacked or in the shed? Next year you can start wood processing. You have more than enough on your plate this year.

Well I guess it could be worse . It could be me
So much work and so few hours Good Luck

The same guy I would get the truck load from will deliver it split and ready to go. I do think that is my most viable option at this point.

We put off the floor pour for a week. There is a chance of rain, and concrete company could not get on site early enough to beat the hot part of the day. With two things that could go wrong, I did not want to gamble.

Too much water is usually better than too little. As long as it is not too much too much water. Local legend has moonshine being produced off this spring during prohibition. The county seat had an active temperance union quite a few years before federal prohibition, and the county seat went dry. So liquor could be produced outside the city limits but still within the county. Later the county went dry, again several years before federal prohibition.

I have paperwork from 1958 when the then owners allowed the county to put a road along the edge of the property. The house we are remodeling was built in 1953, so it is a year younger than me. With no neighbors within a mile or two of us, it must have been quite isolated in 1953.